This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Horst Stöcker studied physics, chemistry, mathematics and philosophy at the Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universität, Frankfurt am Main, where he got his Dr. phil.nat. in 1979.
He went on to GSI and - as a DAAD - postdoctoral fellow - to LBL, UC Berkeley.
Stöcker joined the faculty of physics and astronomy at Michigan State University and the National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory, NSCL, in 1982.
1985 Stöcker moved on to a professorship for Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics at Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universität in Frankfurt am Main, where Stöcker holds the Judah M. Eisenberg- endowed Chair since 2000.
From 2000 - 2003 Stöcker was elected Vicepresident at Goethe Universität, Frankfurt, for science, mathematics, computer science, IT and high performance computing, HPC, for the medical school and for the Universitäts - Klinikum der Goethe Universität. He was reelected 2006-2007.
Horst Stöcker is Senior Fellow and member of the executive board at the international interdisciplinary Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies (FIAS) - a private scientific foundation, Frankfurt am Main.
2008 Stöcker was elected Vice-President of Helmholtz Gemeinschaft Deutscher Forschungszentren HGF for the Research Area "Struktur der Materie", 2008, and was reelected 2010-2012.
He is co-founder of the International Facility for Antiproton and Ion Research FAIR in Europe, Helmholtz International Center for FAIR HIC for FAIR, Helmholtz Institute Jena HIJ, Helmholtz Institute Mainz HIM, Helmholtz International Graduate School HiRe for FAIR, FAIR Russia Research Center, FRRC Moscow, Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies FIAS, Frankfurt International Graduate School for Sciences FIGSS, FAIR Center for International Collaboration at CCNU, Wuhan.
- „Judah M. Eisenberg Professor Laureatus für Theoretische Physik“, at Goethe Universität Frankfurt am Main
- Doctor honoris causa of the Russian Academy of Sciences, RAS, Moscow, Russia
- Doctor honoris causa of the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research, Dubna, Russia
- Doktor honoris causa of the University of Bucharest, Romania
- Fellow of the European Physical Society, EPS, London, Great Britain
- Fellow of the Institute of Physics, IoP, London, Great Britain
- Emilio Segre Lecturer, Tel Aviv University, Israel
- Honorary Professor Central China Normal University, CCNU Wuhan, China
- Visiting Honorary Professor at the University of Science and Technology of China, USTC Hefei, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
- Member, Deutsche Akademie der Technikwissenschaften, acatech, München
- Member, Academia Europaea, London, Great Britain
- Member, Polytechnische Gesellschaft in Frankfurt am Main
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Council, Gutenberg Forschungskolleg (GFK), Universität Mainz
- Chair (em.), Stiftungsrat, Beilstein Institut, Frankfurt
- Member, Council Kassel - Stiftung, Frankfurt
- Member, Council Puschmann Stiftung, Frankfurt
- Member of the Advisory Board of the H. & E. Kleber Foundation, Frankfurt
- Hessischer Verdienstorden of the Prime Minister of the federal state of Hesse
According to Google Scholar, Horst Stöcker's more than 600 scientific articles and books have been cited more than 40 000 times. With a Hirsch index of h=90 he is among the "Top 200 Highly Cited Researchers" in the gobal ranking of the Institute for Scientific Information, ISI.
Stöcker holds several patents and is co-founder of several companies.
Horst Stöcker was a Guest professor at various distinct Universities and member of Scientific Councils at numerous Institutes worldwide, including the US Department of Energy, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, and University of California in United States; Riken and J-PARC in Japan; University of Science and Technology of China in China; CNRS, Université Louis Pasteur, Université de Nantes, GANIL, and Caen in France; and Tel Aviv University in Israel.
- Walter Greiner, Ludwig Neise, Horst Stöcker: Thermodynamik und Statistische Mechanik. Harri Deutsch, Thun und Frankfurt am Main 1993, ISBN 3-8171-1262-9
- Horst Stöcker: Mathematische Formeln für die technische Ausbildung und Praxis, Deutsch (Harri) 1995, ISBN 3-8171-1440-0
- Horst Stöcker: Mathematik - Physik - Chemie, Das Basiswissen, 3 Bde., Deutsch (Harri) 2000, ISBN 3-8171-1633-0
- Horst Stöcker: Taschenbuch mathematischer Formeln und moderner Verfahren, Deutsch (Harri) 2003, ISBN 3-8171-1701-9
- Horst Stöcker: Taschenbuch der Physik, Deutsch (Harri) 2004, ISBN 3-8171-1720-5