The horticulture industry embraces the production, processing and shipping of and the market for fruits and vegetables. As such it is a sector of agribusiness and industrialized agriculture. Industrialized horticulture sometimes also includes the floriculture industry and production and trade of ornamental plants.
Among the most important fruits are:
- Semi-tropical fruits like lychee, guava or tamarillo
- Citrus fruits
- soft fruits (berries)
- stone fruits
Important vegetables include:
In 2013, the global fruit production was estimated at 676.9 million tonnes (666,200,000 long tons; 746,200,000 short tons). Global vegetable production (including melons) was estimated at 879.2 million tonnes (865,300,000 long tons; 969,200,000 short tons) with China and India being the two top producing countries.
- Inputs: elements needed for production; seeds, fertilizers, agrochemicals, farm equipment, irrigation equipment, GMO technology
- Production for export: includes fruit and vegetables production and all processes related to growth and harvesting; planting, weeding, spraying, picking
- Packing and cold storage: grading, washing, trimming, chopping, mixing, packing, labeling, blast chilling
- Processed fruit and vegetables: dried, frozen, preserved, juices, pulps; mostly for increasing shelf life
- Distribution and marketing: supermarkets, small scale retailers, wholesalers, food service
Genetically modified crops / GMO
- All A-Z information on Subtropical fruits, fruitsinfo.com
- Aanchal Sharma; Binod Kumar Singh; Anand, Neeraj (2016). "Fruit Processing Industry in India: A Short Review". Cold Chain Logistics in Horticulture & Agriculture. Winsar Publishing Company. doi:10.13140/RG.2.1.2155.3047/1.
- "Global Horticulture (2014 -2018) - Pink and Healthy". PRNewswire. 19 August 2014.
- Karina Fernandez-Stark; Penny Bamber; Gary Gereffi (2011). "The Fruit and Vegetables Global Value Chain – ECONOMIC UPGRADING AND WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT" (PDF). CGGC, Duke University. Archived from the original (PDF) on 16 September 2012. Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- Izham Ahmad, Chua Piak Chwee (2005). "INCREASING CONSUMPTION OF TROPICAL AND SUBTROPICAL FRUITS" (PDF). FAO.FFA (future farmers of America)
- http://www.fruitlogistica.de/ fruit logistica conference 2017