Church in Hortobágy.
|Region||Northern Great Plain|
|• Total||284.6 km2 (109.9 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Area code||+36 74|
2016 Explosive incident
On 1 July 2016, 4 demolition experts of the Hungarian Defence Force were killed and another seriously injured while attempting to detonate a 250 kilogram Russian-made fragmentation bomb manufactured shortly after WW2. The incident took place at a firing range within the Hortobágy National Park. The firing range covers 4,000 hectares (about 9,800 acres) and has been used for practice by the Hungarian armed forces for decades. It was reported that the detonator had already been removed when the explosion occurred. The remote and sparsely populated area was used as a shooting range by the Hungarian Army for decades following World War II. The soldiers will be honored with the Hazért Érdemjel medal.
- Hortobágy, KSH
- Hortobágy at the Hungarian Central Statistical Office (Hungarian).
- Hortobágy at the Hungarian Central Statistical Office (Hungarian). 2017
- Holding, APA Information Agency, APA. "Four demolition experts dead after explosion at Hungarian bombing range". Retrieved 2016-09-05.
- hermesauto (2016-07-01). "Four Hungarian explosives experts killed in blast". The Straits Times. Retrieved 2017-07-09.
- "Four soldiers killed in blast at Hungarian firing range". www.hungarianambiance.com. Retrieved 2017-07-09.
|This Hajdú-Bihar location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|