|• MLA||H Halappa|
|Elevation||585 m (1,919 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Hosanagar is a panchayat town in Shimoga district in the Indian state of Karnataka. It is nested in western ghats of India. The World Cattle Conference with main emphasis on cow was held in month of April 2007 in Hosanagar. The different uses of cow (not the meat) were exhibited. Near Hosanagar there is a mutt named Sri Ramachandrapura Math just 6 km from Hosanagar Town.
Hosanagar is located at  It has an average elevation of 585 metres (1919 feet)..
Hosanagar Taluk is full of forested areas. A sizable area of the Taluk is covered by the backwaters of Linganamakki Dam, built across Sharavati River. This Taluk receives heavy rainfal during monsoon season (June–October).
As of 2001[update] India census, Hosanagar had a population of 5042. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Hosanagar has an average literacy rate of 80%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 84%, and female literacy is 75%. In Hosanagar, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Hosanagar Taluk is one of the seven taluks of Shimoga District, Karnataka, India.
Places of interest
nagara fort, a fort of shivappanayaka keladi maha samsthana located at a distance of 15 km from the town of hosanagara
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Hosanagar
- com, discovershimoga. "discovershimoga.com". Shimoga. Retrieved 2014-02-12.
- Jaideep, Shenoy (2012-05-08). "Karnataka Maximum rainfall". Bangalore: The Times of India. Retrieved 2014-02-13.
- Zilla Panchayath, Shimoga
- Snehal Rebello (2012-03-15). "Megalithic structures a chance discovery". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- The, Hindu; Spl.Correspondent (2006-02-08). "Sagar, Hosnagar MLAs may obey BJP whip on trust vote". The Hindu. Retrieved 2014-02-13.