Hospital Point Range Front Light
US Coast Guard photo
|Year first constructed||1871|
|Year first lit||1872|
|Tower shape||Square pyramidal tower with attached house|
|Markings / pattern||White, black lantern|
|Focal height||70 feet (21 m)|
|Original lens||Third order Fresnel lens|
Hospital Point Light Station
|MPS||Lighthouses of Massachusetts TR|
|NRHP Reference #||87002031|
|Added to NRHP||September 28, 1987|
Hospital Point Range Front Light is a historic lighthouse at the end of Bayview Avenue in Beverly, Massachusetts. It forms the front half of a range which guides vessels toward Salem Harbor. The tower was added to the National Register of Historic Places as Hospital Point Light Station on September 28, 1987.
Established in 1871, the beacon marks the deep water channel to Beverly, Salem and Marblehead Two bronze plaques contain historical information about the site. One plaque honors Beverly men who manned a fort at the site during the Revolutionary War, and the second describes the lighthouse and a smallpox hospital that was previously located on the site. The lighthouse was first lit in 1872 and was automated in 1947. The Fresnel lens was replaced in 1976, and an acrylic optic was installed in 1981.
The square pyramidal light tower is 45 feet (14 m) tall, made of white painted brick and is topped with a 10-sided lantern. There are five sash windows in the tower, with the doorway facing the keeper's house. A small brick oil house stands nearby. The keeper's house is an example of Queen Anne style architecture, although its historic detailing are obscured by a major addition to the building in 1968.
Hospital Point Light is owned and operated as a navigation aid by the United States Coast Guard. The light is paired with a second light installed in the steeple of Beverly's First Baptist Church in 1927. Vessels are able to use the two lights to align themselves with the middle of the channel, avoiding the rocky shores.
- Hospital Point Range Rear Light
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Essex County, Massachusetts
- "Historic Light Station Information and Photography: Massachusetts". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office. 2009-09-02.
- United States Coast Guard (2009). Light List, Volume I, Atlantic Coast, St. Croix River, Maine to Shrewsbury River, New Jersey. p. 82.
- National Park Service (2008-04-15). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Wright, John Hardy. Images of American: Beverly. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2000. p. 105
- United States Coast Guard. Historic Light Station Information and Photography: Massachusetts. online.
- "MACRIS inventory record for Hospital Point Range Front Light". Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Retrieved 2015-04-04.
- National Park Service. Maritime History of Massachusetts. online
- Leighton, Paul. (2007, July 28.) Seeing the light: tours offer rare views from Hospital Point. Salem News.