An unofficial logo designed in 2004 by Canadian Glenn Gobuyan shows two people with arms over each other's shoulders in friendship and waving for you to join them, in the shape of the letters "HC". It is reminiscent of cave paintings to illustrate that hospitality is as old as humanity.
Social networking service
|Alexa rank||504,045 (27 May 2018)|
|Launched||July 11, 2000|
Hospitality Club operates a hospitality service and social networking service. Its website is a platform for members to arrange homestays, offer hospitality, join events, and meet other members. The platform is a gift economy; hosts are not allowed to charge for lodging.
Hospitality Club was founded in July 2000 by 22-year old Veit Kühne with the help of friends and family. Kühne had been inspired by his experiences with homestays in Mensa International and his student social networks.
In January 2005, Kühne emailed members reiterating his control over decisions regarding the website.
In 2006, Kühne was working full-time on Hospitality Club.
- "Alexa Internet: HospitalityClub.org". Alexa Internet.
- "The Hospitality Club: Members in all countries and territories". Hospitalityclub.org.
- Baker, Vicky (27 June 2008). "Top 10 hospitality travel sites". The Guardian.
- Stellin, Susan (August 6, 2006). "Exchange hosts open homes to travelers, new experiences". San Diego Union Tribune.
- "Hospitality Club: About Us". Hospitalityclub.org.
- "HC democracy and strategy". WikiLeaks. 19 January 2005.
- Thomas, Amelia (28 February 2006). "Backstory: Extreme vacation". Christian Science Monitor.