Hospitality management studies
Hospitality Management is the study of the hospitality industry. A degree in the subject may be awarded either by a university college dedicated to the studies of hospitality management or a business school with a relevant department. Degrees in hospitality management may also be referred to as hotel management, hotel and tourism management, or hotel administration. Degrees conferred in this academic field include BA, Bachelor of Business Administration, BS, MS, MBA, and PhD. Hospitality management covers hotels, restaurants, cruise ships, amusement parks, destination marketing organizations, convention centers, and country clubs.
In the United States, hospitality and tourism management curricula follow similar core subject applications to that of a business degree, but with a focus on hospitality management. Core subject areas include accounting, administration, finance, information systems, marketing, human resource management, public relations, strategy, quantitative methods, and sectoral studies in the various areas of hospitality business.
Rankings of degree-granting programs
These top ten lists are specific to departments that specifically give degrees in the hospitality field itself. For the more general type of degree, see the list of business schools in the United States, and similar articles for other countries. For restaurant-related hospitality industry degrees in nutrition, see list of universities with accredited dietetic programs. For overall rankings of universities by various metrics, see college and university rankings.
Opinion surveys of employers in the hospitality industry
Taylor Nelson Sofres (TNS), in a broad industry survey of senior managers from luxury hotels in 2013, conducted a market survey of hospitality employers regarding their opinions of the top ten hospitality management schools. Laureate Hospitality Education, a division of Laureate Education Inc, commissioned TNS to conduct each of these surveys, and 4 schools out of 10 (numbers 2, 3, 6, 8) belong to Laureate Hospitality Education. The result appeared as follows:
- École hôtelière de Lausanne, Switzerland
- Glion Institute of Higher Education, Glion & Bulle - Switzerland
- Les Roches International School of Hotel Management, Bluche - Switzerland
- Cornell University, USA
- Hotelschool The Hague, Netherlands
- Les Roches International School of Hotel Management, Marbella - Spain
- Oxford Brookes University, United Kingdom
- Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School, Leura - Australia
- Hotel School Vatel, France
- Cesar Ritz Colleges, Le Bouveret, Brig - Switzerland
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong SAR
- Cornell University, USA
- Michigan State University, USA
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas, USA
- Pennsylvania State University, USA
- University of Surrey, United Kingdom
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, USA
- Purdue University, USA
- Oklahoma State University, USA
- University of Central Florida, USA
- "What is Hospitality management?". http://www.wisegeek.org.
- "International Hospitality Management Schools: 2013 Worldwide Industry Ranking Survey" (PDF). http://www.glion.edu. 2013-10. Retrieved 2014-08-2014. Check date values in:
- "A World Ranking of the Top 100 Hospitality and Tourism Programs" (PDF). www.sagepublications.com. 2009-10-12. Retrieved 2014-08-25.
- GESTO Culinary and Hospitality Academy - Hotel management Courses
- Emerge Skills - Academy for Hotel Management
- American Hotel & Lodging Educational Institute
- Confederation of Tourism and Hospitality
- Dr. Y.S.R. National Institute of Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Hospitality service
- Hotel manager
- UEI Global, 12 campuses across India
- StPOL University College of Hospitality Management and Culinary Arts, Barcelona