Hossein Elahi Ghomshei
|Hossein Elahi Ghomshei|
Hossein Elahi Ghomshei, 2011
|Born||Hossein Mohyeddin Elahi Ghomshei
4 January 1940
|Residence||Shemiranat, Tehran, Iran|
|Alma mater||University of Tehran|
Hossein Mohyeddin Ghomshei (Persian: حسین محیالدین قمشهای, born 4 January 1940) better known as Elahi Ghomshei, is an Iranian scholar, Philosopher, author and lecturer on literature, art and mysticism.
Life and education
Dr. Hossein Elahi Ghomshei was born on 4 January 1940 in Tehran, Iran. He is the son of Mirza Mahdi Elahi Qomshehei, the famous translator of Quran into Persian. He received his PhD in Islamic Theology and Philosophy from the University of Tehran.
- Arabic literature, grammar, logic, theosophy, jurisprudence, and Kalam: Tehran Seminary School
- Persian literature: especially Nezami, Rumi, Hafez, Saadi and Attar
- Islamic mysticism: especially Ibn-al-Arabi and Ibn-al-Farez
- Philosophy of the fine arts
Ghomshei was a lecturer at Tehran University and other universities and institutes (1968–2000) in the fields of:
- Philosophy of the fine arts (aesthetics)
- Persian literature and mysticism
- Theology and Islamic mysticism
- English literature (emphasis on Shakespeare)
- Works of Rumi, Saadi, Hafez, Attar, Nezami, Ferdowsi, Shabestari.
Other academic works
Ghomshei has been:
- an international guest lecturer (partial list below)
- a domestic lecturer at various locations
- an author and translator (partial list below)
- the Director, National Library of Iran (1981-2)
- a culture and art adviser
- an editor
International lecture sites (partial list)
- Victoria & Albert Museum, London
- Dartington Hall, Devon
- Cambridge University
- Oxford University
- University of Exeter
- SOAS, University of London
- Imperial College, University of London
- University College of London
- University of Glasgow
- United States of America
- University of California, Berkeley
- University of California, Los Angeles
- University of Southern California (USC)
- California State University, Long Beach
- University of George Town
- Harvard University
- Princeton University
- University of Melbourne
- Macquarie University, Sydney
- Monash University
- University of Queensland
- University of British Columbia
- Simon Fraser University
- Goethe Institute
- Vienna University
- Versaille Palaces
- Frankfurt Book Fair
- Selection from the Discourses of Rumi (Fihe-ma-Fih):1987
- Selection from the Conference of Birds (Mantiq-al-Tayr) by Attar:1994
- Divan Hafez (A Critical edition of Hafez’s collected poems):2002
- Essays on Persian Mystical Literature, Poetics and Aesthetics:1999
- Kimia ; Collected Essays, Translations and Introductions (Vol.1-5,8-10):1998-2011
- Introduction to Golshan-e-Raz (Sheikh Mahmoud Shabestari):1998
- A Study of Islamic Texts in English Translation (University Textbook):1992
- Selection of quotations and poems by Shakespeare (translation):2003
- The Prophet (Translation from Jebran Khalil):1999
- 365 days with Saadi:2002
- Omar Khayyam Robaiiats (Preface, editor):2003
- Selection From Shahnameh by Ferdowsi:2006
- Invocations of Komail (Translation from Emam Ali):2006
- Cultural Symposium:2007
- 365 days with English Literature:2007
- 365 days with Rumi:2009
- The Other Wise Man (Translation from Henry van Dyke):2007
- Subtleties of Mulla Nasreddin (Introduction and notes):2010
- 365 days with Quran:2011
Articles in English
- Hossein Elahi Ghomshei. The Principles of the Religion of Love in Classical Persian Poetry
- Hossein Elahi Ghomshei. Hafez & the Divine Covenant
- Hossein Elahi Ghomshei. Of Scent and Sweetness: Attar’s Legacy in Rumi, Shabestari and Hafez
- Hossein Elahi Ghomshei. The Rose and the Nightingale: the Role of Poetry in Persian Culture
- Hossein Elahi Ghomshei: Poetics & Aesthetics in the Persian Sufi Literary Tradition
Lecture topics in English (partial list)
- Seven Tales under Seven Domes; by Nezami
- Attar : Seven Stations of Love
- An Aesthetic Approach to the Philosophical Theory of Substantial Motion
- Problems of the Predestination and Free Will
- Saadi & Shakespeare (A comparative study)
- Rose & Nightingale; An Introduction to Persian Literature and Mysticism
- Music in Persian Poetry
- Rumi : The Art and Wisdom of Storytelling in Mathnavi
- Hafez and His Works
- Cultural Investment for the Younger Generation
- The World of Happiness and How to Attain it
- Poetics and Aesthetics in Persian Literature
- Adventures in Persian Mysticism
- Mathnavi : A Book for All Ages
- Nasir Khosrow’s Poetry
- Mohyeddin Arabi and Ebn-e- Farez
- An Evening with Hafez
- Ethics of Science and Technology
- The Quran in Persian Literature
- The Wine of Alast: Divine Covenant of Man with God
- One and Many : The Circle of Being
- Global Ethics and the Human Nature
- Immortality of Soul
- Poetry and Prophecy
- Rumi: The Messenger of Love
- Islam and Human Nature
- Philosophical Doctrines and Spiritual Teachings of Rumi
- Alchemy of Love
- The Religion of Love in Classical Persian Poetry
- The Veils of God
- Total Integration of Man
- Perpetual Conflict between Man & Demon
- The Symphony of Rumi: A Thematic Approach to Rumi's Poetry
- A Philosophical and Aesthetic Approach to the Laws of Harmony
- The Wisdom of the Heart in Ibn Arabi and Persian Mystic Literature
- The True Essence of Islam
- Islamic Mystical Bacchanalia: The Wine-Ode of Ibn Farid of Egypt
- The Mythology of Norouz in Persian Literature
- Rumi and Tagore on Love
- Chairman of the Board, Elahi Ghomshei Culture & Art Institute, Tehran
- Member of the Board, Mawlana Jalaledin Rumi Culture,Art,Research Institute, Tehran
- Chief Editor.Chaleepa Quarterly Magazine, Calligraphy &Traditional Arts, Tehran
- Fellow of the Temenos Academy, London
- Member of the Advisory Council, Mawlana Rumi Review, London
- "賵亘 爻丕賷鬲 乇爻賲賷 丿讴鬲乇 丨爻賷賳 丕賱賴賷 賯賲卮賴 丕賷". Drelahighomshei.com. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- "سازمان اسناد و كتابخانه ملي ايران". Nlai.ir. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- "V&A Home Page - Victoria and Albert Museum". Vam.ac.uk. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- "Tagore Festival 2014 - Dartington". Tagorefestival.com. Archived from the original on 21 August 2011. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- Temenos Academy Recorded Lectures 1992- 2000, The Temenos Academy London
-  Archived May 16, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
-  Archived September 27, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
-  Archived December 30, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- Sina Sohangir. "Dr. Elahi Ghomshei's Biography". Stanford.edu. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- Sina Sohangir. "Molavi's (Rumi) notion of love and its effect on man's spiritual recuperation". Stanford.edu. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- Monash Arts Online Presence Team. "Monash Asia Institute" (PDF). Arts.monash.edu.au. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- [dead link]
- "Globalization and Human Nature: A Lecture by Dr. Hossein Elahi Ghomshei : UBC Persian Club". Ubcpc.com. Archived from the original on 21 November 2015. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- Simon Fraser University. "Home - Centre for the Comparative Study of Muslim Societies and Cultures" (PDF). Sfu.ca. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- "Veranstaltungen in Wien :-: kulturverein kanafani - Das Forum f眉r Ausl盲nder & Migranten in 脰sterreich". Auslaender.at. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- "Le grand po猫te H芒fez c茅l茅br茅 脿 Versailles - La Revue de T茅h茅ran - Iran". Teheran.ir. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- "شبکه چهار سیما". Tv4.ir. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- In Hafiz and religion of Love, edited by Leonard Lewisohn, London, I. B. Tauris, London, 2010, pp.77-106
- Soroush J. No. 67-68, Spring 1998, pp. 18-21
- "New Books". Ibtauris.com. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- SGI Quarterly Magazine, No. 51, Jan. 2008, pp.6-8
- Sufi, Issue 28, Winter 1995-1996, pp. 21-27
- "Key Individuals of The Temenos Academy". Yemenosacademy.org. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- "Mawlanarumi Review". Mawlanarumireview.com. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hossein Elahi Ghomshei.|