Hossein Farmani is a creative director, gallerist, exhibition curator, philanthropist and founder and president of the Lucie Awards in New York City, International Design Awards, Px3, Paris Photo Prize and LICC, London Creative Awards, Focus on AIDS and Farmani Gallery.
Farmani was born in Tehran, Iran, and at age of 9 started acting in the local children’s library theater.
In 1984, he started VUE magazine, the first fashion magazine in Orange County, distributed around the world.
Farmani brought together Susan Baraz, Candace Falk, Robert Berman, Ron Bakal and Laura Hinds to start the Focus on AIDS Foundation to help create awareness and raise money to fund research and care. Focus on AIDS is a 100% volunteer group that has raised millions of dollars and funded many organizations. Over 500 photographers have donated works to the Focus on AIDS Photography Auction.
In 1987, Farmani started the Farmani Advertising Agency, and later acquired Yamanouchi and Associate Design Agency, and the Farmani Yamanouchi Design Studio (FYI Design) was established.
Farmani also co-founded the Palm Springs Photo Festival, Snap Orlando, Month of Photography LA, and the Istanbul Photo Festival. In 2014, Farmani spoke at TEDxChiangMai. He also judged the Best Photo Essay at Yangon Photo Festival.
2019, Farmani founded first and only permanent exhibition of Steve McCurry in Kashan called Steve's House. Hassan rowshanbakht and Hossein Rowshanbakht (twins) helped him with renovating and managing space.
- "Hossein Farmani: "Many French organisations think that they own photography". Emaho Magazine. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "Art for New York Auction". Iphotocentral.com. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "The MIFA 2014 photography competition". Artetic.net. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "Lucie photo awards presented in New York". China Daily. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- "New Dumbo Gallery: Farmani Gallery". Dumbo NYC. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- "Jeff Dunas talks about the Palm Springs Photo Festival". The Eye of Photography. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "Westside Art Scene Is Alive With Events". Westside Today. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "How collectors determine the value of artworks?". Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- "Yangon Photo Festival turns lens on peace". The Myanmar Times. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "Lucie Technical Awards Highlight the Great Gear Behind the Great Photos". Photo District News. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- Lapin, Mark. "Everybody Loves Lucie". TakeGreatPictures.com. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "Inaugural Lucie Technical Awards to Honor 2015 Imaging Innovations". Digital Imaging Reporter. Retrieved 12 April 2016.