|Native name||حسین همدانی|
January 1, 1951|
|Died||October 7, 2015
|Years of service||1979–2015|
|Rank||Major General (posthumously)|
|Commands held||Ansar-al-Hossein Division of Hamadan
Rassoulollah Corps (2009–2014)
|Battles/wars||Syrian Civil War †|
|Awards||Order of Fath (2)|
Hossein Hamadani, also spelled Hamedani (Persian: حسین همدانی; January 1, 1951 – October 7, 2015), was an Iranian Revolutionary Guard commander. He was posthumously promoted to Major General from Brigadier General.
Hamadani first rose to prominence during the 1979 Kurdish rebellion in Iran and the Iran-Iraq War, where he helped suppress the Communist rebellion in Iranian Kurdistan. Mohammad Ali Jafari appointed him as Deputy Commander of the IRGC in 2005, and together they planned how to deal with any attempted "velvet revolution" in Iran. Hamadani subsequently helped to suppress the 2009 election protests in Iran. He had been head of the IRGC’s Rassoulollah Corps in charge of Greater Tehran from November 2009 until January 2014, and had been subject to international sanctions since 14 April 2011.
Hamadani had released three books
- Moonlight of Khayyen (مهتاب خین)), narrating the Iranian Revolution, conflicts in Kordestan, and the Iran-Iraq war.
- Conquerors of Khorramshahr (فاتحان خرمشهر), narrating the Liberation of Khorramshahr.
- Brother, It's Duty (تکلیف است برادر), an autobiography.
- "موقع إيران بريفينغ". Arabic.iranbriefing.net. Retrieved 2012-09-24.
- "What Is Iran Doing in Syria?". Foreign Policy. Retrieved 2012-09-23.
- "Hossein Hamedani". Ukforiranians.fco.gov.uk. 2012-03-26. Retrieved 2012-09-24.
- "Consolidated List of Financial Sanctions Targets in the UK" (PDF). Hm-treasury.gov.uk. Retrieved 2012-09-24.
- "Top Iranian Official Acknowledges Syria Role". Wall Street Journal. 16 September 2012. Retrieved 23 September 2012.
- "Berater im Kampf gegen IS: Iranischer General in Syrien getötet". Der Spiegel (in German). 9 October 2015. Retrieved 9 October 2015.
- Lizzie Dearden (9 October 2015). "Iranian commander Brigadier General Hossein Hamedani killed by Isis while advising Syrian regime". The Independent. Retrieved 9 October 2015.
- "PressTV-Iranian commander killed in Syria". Retrieved 9 October 2015.
- "Iranian Revolutionary Guards general killed in Syria -IRGC". Mail Online. Retrieved 9 October 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hossein Hamadani.|