This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||1948 (age 70–71)|
|Political party||Association of Muslim Journalists|
A strong supporter of president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, he has been described as being "a close confidant of Iran’s supreme leader" Ali Khamenei, and as having "links" to Iran's intelligence services. He is also known for his antisemitic and anti-American views, referring to Jews and Americans as "germs".
After the controversial 2009 election and weeks of protest, Shariatmadari wrote an editorial in Kayhan alleging that defeated candidate Mir Hossein Mousavi was trying to "escape punishment for murdering innocent people, holding riots, cooperating with foreigners and acting as America's fifth column inside the country" and called for Mousavi and former reformist President Mohammad Khatami to be tried in court for "horrible crimes and treason."
In 2009, during the first contested presidential elections, Shariatmadari was announced that Mohammad Khatami would risk the same fate of Benazir Bhutto if he was elected. After the elections, alongside the Green Party protests, Shariatmadari accused Mir Hossein Mousavi of being a fifth column of the US and causing the deaths of many people.
- "List of Legally Registerred Parties in Iran". Khorasan Newspaper. Pars Times. July 30, 2000. p. 4. Retrieved 21 August 2015.
- Frederic Wehrey; Jerrold D Green; Brian Nichiporuk; Alireza Nader; Lydia Hansell (31 December 2008). The Rise of the Pasdaran: Assessing the Domestic Roles of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps. Rand Corporation. p. 106. ISBN 978-0-8330-4680-2. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- Worth, Robert F. (June 21, 2009). "Up in Arms, A Struggle for the Legacy of the Iranian Revolution". New York Times.
- "Hossein Shariatmadari, Editor-in-Chief of Kayhan Iranian Daily, Renews Claims to Bahrain, and Declares: No Arab country Has a History as a State Going Back over 100 Years". MEMRI. August 18, 2007.
- "ARRICCHIRE URANIO AL 99% UN DIRITTO DELL'IRAN? - NO PASDARAN". NO PASDARAN.
- Hardliner calls opposition leader US agent. Associated Press, July 4, 2009 accessed 7-July-2009
- "Shariatmadari threatens Mousavi, Karroubi and Khatami". iranian.com.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hossein Shariatmadari.|
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Hossein Shariatmadari|