Sir Hossein Yassaie
M. Hossein Yassaie
|Alma mater||University of Birmingham (BSc, PhD)|
|Awards||Knight Bachelor (2013) |
|Thesis||Application of charge-coupled devices to within-pulse sector scanning sonars (1983)|
Education and early life
Yassaie came to Britain in 1976 from Iran and became a United Kingdom national in 1984. He studied Electronics and Communications at the University of Birmingham gaining a first class honours Bachelor of Science degree in 1979. He stayed at Birmingham to complete a Doctor of Philosophy degree on the application of Charge-coupled devices (CCDs) to Sonar.
Yassaie then spent eight years working at STMicroelectronics and Inmos. He joined Imagination Technologies in 1992, becoming its CEO in June 1998 focusing the business on advanced technology development using the semiconductor intellectual property business model and created the brand Pure.
Yassaie resigned his position as CEO of Imagination Technologies on 8 February 2016, amid calls for his resignation from shareholders after slumps in profits and spiralling costs.
Awards and honours
He was awarded the honorary degree of DUniv by the University of Birmingham in 2013.
- "Imagination Technologies PLC Board of Directors". 2014. Archived from the original on 4 December 2014.
- Yassaie, M. Hossein (1983). Application of charge-coupled devices to within-pulse sector scanning sonars (PhD thesis). University of Birmingham.
- Hossein Yassaie's publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database. (subscription required)
- Yassaie, M. H.; Ong, L. H.; Denbigh, P. N. (1983). "Application of time-delay-and-integrate c.c.d.s in sector scanning sonars". Radio and Electronic Engineer. 53 (7–8): 295. doi:10.1049/ree.1983.0053.
- "Honorary Graduates". University of Birmingham. Retrieved 20 December 2014.
- Spanier, Gideon (21 September 2012). "Hossein Yassaie: Meet the man with the big Imagination". Retrieved 20 December 2014.
- "Outstanding Alumni". University of Birmingham. Retrieved 20 December 2014.
- Neate, Rupert (11 November 2009). "Imagination boss Hossein Yassaie wages war on Britain's lack of ambition". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 20 December 2014.
- "Pure radio up for sale as Imagination Technologies' boss departs". BBC News. Retrieved 8 February 2016.
- "The New Year Honours Lists 2013". UK Government. 29 December 2012. Retrieved 20 December 2014.
- "Academy elects top engineers as Fellows at its 40th anniversary AGM". Retrieved 13 November 2016.