|Industry||Web hosting, SSL certificates, small businesses, Information Technology|
|Headquarters||Burlington, Ontario, Canada|
HostPapa is a Canadian-based privately owned web hosting company that provides shared, reseller, and virtual private server (VPS) hosting. It operates in the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Germany, New Zealand, Mexico, Singapore, India, Hong Kong, European Union, France, Ireland, Belgium and Spain. In 2016 the company provided hosting services to more than 180,000 websites.
HostPapa entered the dedicated and hosted applications market in 2002, and began offering web hosting services to customers in 2005, through its first registered domain. It was officially founded in Canada by Jamie Opalchuk in 2006. In its promotional material, HostPapa committed to using green energy. In 2010 HostPapa was accredited by the Better Business Bureau.
The current company logo, including the "Papa" character, was the result of a 2012 "Who's Your Papa?" logo design contest.
In 2013, 2015 and 2015, HostPapa appeared on the PROFIT 500 ranking of Canada’s fastest-growing companies based on five-year revenue growth. On February 9, 2015, Dropmysite announced multi-language partnership with HostPapa.
HostPapa has web hosting infrastructure, including Hewlett-Packard hardware and servers, networked by Cisco equipment, in various tier one data centers in Canada and around the world. The company operates North American-based call centers for customer support in English, French, and Spanish. Its hosting services use Sucuri server software and CloudProxy.
The company uses MailChannels SMTP Relay anti-spam technology to analyze outbound email behaviour in order to limit unwanted emails and ensure email delivery to its customers. Customers use cPanel control panel to access HostPapa's web hosting software.
HostPapa uses 100% renewable energy to power data centres, web servers, office computers, laptops, and office spaces, limiting its carbon emissions. In July 2017 CEO Jamie Opalchuk said the company plans to broaden its data center coverage in 2017 with servers in the United States, UK, and Australia.
HostPapa offers several Non-SSD shared website hosting plans which provide unlimited domains and subdomains, with 500 to 1000MB limited individual email , MySQL, cPanel access, and private name services. In 2015, PC Magazine pointed out that, unlike some of its competitors, HostPapa did not offer dedicated or managed WordPress hosting.
On May 7, 2015, Fergal Gallagher from Tech Times reported a worldwide hacking issue that endangered millions of websites. WordPress software (CMS) vulnerabilities could have allowed hackers to gain control of websites using the default theme and plug-in if the website owner or administrator clicked on a malicious link. At the time of publication, major web hosts, including HostPapa, had already fixed the vulnerability.
In 2011, through the Love Trees charity, HostPapa donated 10,000 trees in Africa for Earth Day. HostPapa was given the Love Trees Partnership award of Merit. That year, HostPapa held a promotion in which it donated $5 to Save the Elephants for every GoDaddy customer who transferred to HostPapa.
- ""PrivCo-HostPapa"". PrivCo. Retrieved 25 September 2015.
- "HostPaPa Usage Statistics". Built With. Retrieved 3 March 2016.
- "BBB Business Review". Better Business Bureau. Retrieved 11 March 2016.
- "HostPapa Green Web Hosting Launches Logo Design Contest". Retrieved 25 April 2012.[dead link]
- Clark, Jack (1 March 2013). "CloudFlare's Railgun protocol gets buy-in from web giants". The Register. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- Lardinois, Frederic (26 February 2013). "Cloudflare Partners With World's Leading Web Hosts To Implement Its Railgun Protocol, Speeds Up Load Times By Up To 143%". Tech Crunch. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- von Wedel, Xenia (11 July 2015). "Complex Websites Are at Increased Risk for Security Breaches - Interview with Neill Feather, President of SiteLock". Internet of Things Expo. Retrieved 9 March 2016.
- "#7 - HostPapa Inc". PROFIT 500 Magazine and Profitguide.com. Retrieved 11 March 2016.
- "#251 - HostPapa Inc". PROFIT 500 Magazine and Profitguide.com. Retrieved 11 March 2016.
- "#301 - HostPapa". PROFIT 500 Magazine and Profitguide.com. Retrieved 11 March 2016.
- "The 2015 PROFIT 500: Toronto's Fastest-Growing Companies". PROFIT 500 Magazine and Profitguide.com. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- "100% Uptime Rating". NCM Online. Retrieved 9 October 2015.
- "Hostpapa Review". Verified Business Hosting. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- "Next Advisor web hosting guide: The cPanel". NextAdvisor. Retrieved 15 July 2009.
- "The Future of the Internet - 7 Big Predictions of 2020". Do Speed Test. Retrieved 6 November 2015.
- "HostPapa Review". Web Host Reports. Retrieved 9 March 2016.
- "HostPapa – a One-Stop-Shop for Small and Medium Businesses | HostAdvice". HostAdvice. Retrieved 2017-07-10.
- "Shared Hosting Details". HostPapa, June 09, 2018.
- "Big List of Web Hosting Resellers". Web Site Magazine, 06.01.2013
- "Best Web Hosting 2016: Hostpapa Review". Best Web Hosting, Raghav Hegde September 30, 2015
- "HostPapa Web Hosting". PC Magazine, June 30, 2015.
- "Hackers Target WordPress Bug, Putting Millions Of Websites At Risk 7 May 2015".
- "Millions of WordPress Websites Affected By Plugin Vulnerability SEO". Search Engine Journal, May 6, 2015
- "Love Trees honours HostPapa with the Love Trees PARTNERSHIP AWARD OF MERIT for giving 10,000 children in Africa trees". Love Trees. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- "Web Host HostPapa Donates 10,000 Trees in Earth Day Campaign". The WHIR. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- "HostPapa Provides Certified Green Hosting Solutions". High Beam Research. Retrieved 29 July 2011.[dead link]
- "Love Trees honours HostPapa with the Love Trees PARTNERSHIP AWARD OF MERIT for giving 10,000 children in Africa trees". Love Trees. Retrieved 18 January 2012.
- "Rivals go after Go Daddy". CNN Money. CNN. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- "GoDaddy CEO's Elephant Hunting Inspires Individuals to Donate Money to Save Elephants". Inhabitat. Retrieved 12 April 2011.