Hot Stuff the Little Devil
|Hot Stuff the Little Devil|
|First appearance||Hot Stuff #1 October 1957|
|Created by||Warren Kremer|
|Full name||Hot Stuff|
|Abilities||Flight, fire-related abilities, Invisibility, Teleportation, Magic.|
Hot Stuff the Little Devil is a comic book character created by Warren Kremer who first appeared in Hot Stuff #1 (October 1957), published by Harvey Comics. Imbued with a mischievous personality and able to produce fire, Hot Stuff appears as a red child devil who wears a diaper (said to be made of asbestos) and carries a magical sentient pitchfork (referred to as his "trusty trident"), which is a character in its own right. Much to the consternation of his demonic brethren, Hot Stuff sometimes performs good deeds to irritate them.
Created and first drawn by Warren Kremer, Hot Stuff has appeared in at least eight comic book titles including Hot Stuff Sizzlers (from 1960), Devil Kids Starring Hot Stuff (from 1962), and Hot Stuff Creepy Caves (from 1974) as well and multiple back-up stories from 1957 to 1982, 1986 to 1991, and with some later publications briefly during the 1990s. The most recent appearance of Hot Stuff was in 2009 with Casper the Friendly Ghost and Wendy the Good Little Witch, when a three-issue comic book miniseries was published by Arden Entertainment called Casper and the Spectrals.
Warren Kremer and Howard Post were the artists who helped define the look of Hot Stuff, drawing many comic book covers and stories over the years. Ernie Colón was another major comics artist who drew Hot Stuff.
While Harvey Comics flagship characters Casper the Friendly Ghost, Spooky and Wendy the Good Little Witch often crossed over into each other's stories, Hot Stuff rarely appeared with them. Instead, the little devil would be featured with characters like Stumbo the Giant (created by Warren Kremer and Larz Bourne, and appeared in back-up stories in Hot Stuff comics in 1957), Katnip the cat, Herman the mouse and good fairy Princess Charma. While they often tended to annoy or anger Hot Stuff, their appearances served to further develop Hot Stuff's character.
Comic book series
- Hot Stuff the Little Devil
- Devil kids Starring Hot Stuff
- Hot Stuff Creepy Caves
- Hot Stuff Sizzlers
- Hot stuff Digest
- Harvey Wiseguys.
- Astro comics
- Casper and...
- Hot Stuff the Little Devil Vol. 2
- Casper and his Friends magazine (Marvel Comics)
- Casper and the Spectrals.
- Hot Stuff the little Devil Halloween Special. (Dark House Comics)
- Harvey Comics Treasury (Dark House comics)
- Harvey Hits (Joe Books)
- Casper the Friendly Ghost ( American Mythology Productions)
Legacy and influence
Hot Stuff the Little Devil is the unofficial emblem for the 108th Field Battery-Royal Australian Artillery and the 407 Long Range Patrol Squadron of the Canadian Forces. He is the mascot for Dysart High School located in El Mirage, Arizona, Eagle Valley High School in Gypsum, Colorado, and Lindhurst High School in Olivehurst, California, and a blue version of Hot Stuff is the logo for Fort Morgan Middle School in Fort Morgan, Colorado. He was the mascot of Joey Harrison's Surf Club in Seaside Heights, New Jersey. He was the inspiration for the logo of the Chicago street gang Satan Disciples.
DreamWorks Animation is developing a live-action/CGI film based on the character with Lizzie and Wendy Molyneux set to write it. It will be the second attempt for a DreamWorks Animation film to use live-action and computer-animation. It will be the second DreamWorks animated film to feature characters from the Classic Media library; the first being Mr. Peabody & Sherman.
- Gangland, Season 3: The Devil's Playground , 2008
- "A Portal Back To Earth from "Treehouse Of Horror XXV"". YouTube. Retrieved 17 October 2014.
- "DreamWorks Animation Makes IMAGINARY ENEMIES; Could Be Their First Live-Action/CG Hybrid". August 19, 2010. Retrieved October 20, 2017.
- Kit, Borys (April 16, 2014). "DreamWorks Hires 'Bob's Burgers' Duo to Write 'Hot Stuff' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 17, 2014.
- Hot Stuff the Little Devil at Don Markstein's Toonopedia. Archived from the original on February 5, 2016.
- 407 LRP Squadron hat, as sold by the 407 Squadron kit shop, with a modified Hot Stuff logo.