Hotel Grand Chancellor, Hobart
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Hotel Grand Chancellor|
|Location||Hobart, Tasmania, |
|Opening||1987, as Sheraton|
|Owner||Grand Hotels International|
|Management||Hotel Grand Chancellor|
|Number of rooms||244|
|Number of restaurants||1 + 1 bar|
The Hotel Grand Chancellor is a twelve-storey hotel located on the waterfront of Hobart, Tasmania, Australia The hotel opened in 1987 as the Sheraton and has since been taken over by the Grand Hotels International group. The Grand Chancellor is home to the Restaurant Tasman, the Atrium Bar, Strickland Gallery and Zenica Hairdressing. The hotel has a pool, a gym and a sauna on site for guest usage.
In 1998 the hotel underwent a sizeable expansion. This was made possible with the Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra's desire to move to a more modern Auditorium. The Federal government contributed funding from the Federation Funding Scheme giving the new extension facilities their names; The Federation Concert Hall and The Federation Ballroom. The expansion was opened in 2000 on the eastern side of the Hotel comprising an 1100-seat capacity Concert Hall and a 1000-seat capacity Ball room. The Concert Hall provides an international standard venue for the Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra and more extensive conference and convention facilities for the Grand Chancellor. The Federation Concert Hall is currently Hobart's third biggest venue, second only to the Tasman Room at Wrest Point and the Derwent Entertainment Centre.
The hotel is commonly referred to as Hobart's ugliest building.
- "Hobart Accommodation - About Australia". About-australia.com. Retrieved 9 July 2018.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-03-21. Retrieved 2010-02-09.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-09-13. Retrieved 2010-02-09.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-11. Retrieved 2010-02-09.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-01-14. Retrieved 2010-02-09.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hotel Grand Chancellor, Hobart.|
|This article about a hotel or resort in Oceania is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an Australian building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|