Hotel Jørgensen explosion
|Hotel Jørgensen bombing|
|Date||Friday 10 September 2010
1:23 p.m. (UTC+1)
|Bombing, terrorism, accident|
|1 (the bomber)|
|Perpetrator||Lors Doukaiev (Chechnyan-Belgian)|
The explosion at Hotel Jørgensen was a minor explosion inside of the discount hostel of the same name in central Copenhagen, Denmark. The explosion happened at 1:23 pm on 10 September 2010. No fatalities were recorded. The only injured person was the one-legged Chechnyan-Belgian bomber Lors Doukaiev, who was caught in a nearby park, Ørstedsparken, following the explosion, but only identified several days later.
Considering that the bomber bought a bus ticket to Belgium with departure from Denmark on 10 September, and he was seen at a post office buying a small box used for mailing CDs, as well as a roll of tape, it is believed that it was not meant to be a suicide attack against the hostel, but rather an accident while making a letter bomb, which happened as a consequence of Doukaiev's use of a highly volatile explosive substance.
The Danish police revealed a hypothesis regarding the purpose of the bomb. According to the police hypothesis, Lors Doukaiev constructed a letter bomb, which was meant to explode upon opening. The bomb would have the same effect as a fragmentation grenade. It is speculated, that Jyllands-Posten in Århus would have been the target of said letter bomb.
Despite Lors Doukaiev's continued claims of innocence, a unanimous panel of judges found him guilty of attempted terrorism, and on May 31, 2011 he was sentenced to 12 years in prison. In April 2013, he was extradited to Belgium.
- "Lors Doukaev bekræfter sin identitet". Ritzau (in Danish). DR. 20 September 2010. Retrieved 21 September 2010.
- Vibeke Rask Grøn (15 September 2010). "Belgisk Avis: Bombemanden har belgisk statsborgerskab". DR (in Danish). Retrieved 20 September 2010.
- "Danish Police appeal for help with Identifying hotel bomber". Euro Weekly News. 14 September 2010. Retrieved 21 September 2010.
- Thomas Nørmark Krog (15 September 2010). "Han hedder Lors Doukaiev" [His name is Lors Doukaiev]. B.T. (in Danish). Retrieved 15 September 2010.
- Signe Fuglsang Midtgaard (12 September 2010). "Det ved vi om bombemandens færden". DR (in Danish). Retrieved 21 September 2010.
- Helle Harbo Sørensen & Trine Fisker (17 September 2010). "TATP-bombe skulle sendes til Århus". TV2 (in Danish). Retrieved 20 September 2010.
- Søren Astrup, Morten Skjoldager & Niels Holst (30 May 2011). "Tjetjener er skyldig i forsøg på terror" (in Danish). Politiken. Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- Søren Astrup & Morten Skjoldager (31 May 2011). "Lors Dukajev får 12 års fængsel for terror-plan" (in Danish). Politiken. Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- "Bombemanden Lors Doukaev udleveret til Belgien" (in Danish). EB. 29 April 2013. Retrieved 14 February 2015.