Hotel Lafayette, September 2013
|Location||391 Washington St., Buffalo, New York|
|Area||0.86 acres (0.35 ha)|
|Architect||Bethune, Bethune & Fuchs (1902–1912); Esenwein and Johnson (1913–1937); and Roswell E. Pfohl / Design Inc. (1942 lobby)|
|Architectural style||French Renaissance|
|NRHP reference #||10000555|
|Added to NRHP||August 19, 2010|
History and features
It is a seven-story steel frame and concrete building designed in the French Renaissance style. It is composed of several rectangular building units completed between 1902 and 1926. It features decorative vitreous red brick and white terra cotta trim.
The original building was designed by the firm of Bethune, Bethune & Fuchs, including architect Louise Blanchard Bethune (1856–1913), and built between 1902 and 1911. Additions from 1916–1917 and 1924–1926 were completed by Esenwein and Johnson. The lobby was decorated in 1942 in the Art Moderne style. In its prime, the Lafayette Hotel was considered one of the 15 finest hotels in the country. Besides elevators, every room featured hot and cold water and a telephone. A 97 m (318 ft) antenna is attached to the building.
In 2012, the completion of a $35 million rehabilitation project restored the hotel to its original beauty. The hotel now contains 92 one & two bedroom apartments, 57 hotel rooms, several bars, restaurants and banquet facilities. The renovation was conducted by Buffalo property developer Rocco Termini, along with architect Jonathan Morris and his team at Carmina Wood Morris PC.
- "National Register of Historic Places". WEEKLY LIST OF ACTIONS TAKEN ON PROPERTIES: 8/16/10 THROUGH 8/20/10. National Park Service. 2010-08-27.
- "Cultural Resource Information System (CRIS)" (Searchable database). New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Retrieved 2016-07-01.[permanent dead link] Note: This includes Martin Wachadlo; Frank Kowsky; Daniel McEneny (June 2010). "National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: Hotel Lafayette" (PDF). Retrieved 2016-07-01. and Accompanying 14 photographs
- http://www.city-data.com/towers/cell-Buffalo-New-York.html. http://www.city-data.com, accessed April 16, 2011.
- Hotel Lafayette Shines Archived 2010-11-27 at the Wayback Machine.. buffalorising.com, accessed November 24, 2010.
- Work to start this month on Hotel Lafayette makeover. buffalonews.com, accessed August 31, 2010.