Houghton County Memorial Airport
|Houghton County Memorial Airport|
|IATA: CMX – ICAO: KCMX – FAA LID: CMX|
|Serves||Hancock / Houghton (also Calumet, Laurium and Lake Linden)|
|Elevation AMSL||1,095 ft / 334 m|
Houghton County Memorial Airport (IATA: CMX, ICAO: KCMX, FAA LID: CMX) is a county owned public use airport located four nautical miles (5 mi, 7 km) southwest of the central business district of Calumet, a village in Houghton County, Michigan, United States. The airport is situated in the unincorporated community of Oneco in Franklin Township, near the village of Calumet on the Keweenaw Peninsula in northwest of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. A limited scheduled commercial service is available, subsidized by the Essential Air Service program. In addition, Royale Air Service provides a seaplane service to Isle Royale National Park depending on traveler demand.
According to the Federal Aviation Administration, this airport had 25,354 passenger boardings (enplanements) in calendar year 2008, 24,826 in 2009, and 21,186 in 2010. It is included in the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2017–2021, in which it is categorized as a non-hub primary commercial service facility.
Facilities and aircraft
Houghton County Memorial Airport covers an area of 1,996 acres (808 ha) at an elevation of 1,095 feet (334 m) above mean sea level. It has two asphalt paved runways: 13/31 is 6,500 by 150 feet (1,981 x 46 m) and 7/25 is 5,201 by 100 feet (1,585 x 30 m).
For the 12-month period ending December 31, 2015, the airport had 16,054 aircraft operations, an average of 44 per day: 68% were general aviation, 19% scheduled commercial, 13% air taxi and less than 1% military. In November 2016, there were 25 aircraft based at this airport: all 25 single-engine. 
Airlines and destinations
The following airline offers scheduled passenger service:
|Carrier||Passengers (arriving and departing)|
|1||Chicago, IL||O'Hare International (ORD)||24,670|
|2||Bullhead City, AZ||Laughlin/Bullhead International (IFP)||800|
|FedEx Feeder operated by CSA Air||Milwaukee|
- FAA Airport Master Record for CMX ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective Nov 10, 2016.
- Houghton County Memorial Airport, official website
- Michigan Department of Transportation. Measures of Michigan Air Carrier Demand, Michigan.gov, Retrieved January 9, 2013
- "Enplanements for CY 2008" (PDF, 1.0 MB). CY 2008 Passenger Boarding and All-Cargo Data. Federal Aviation Administration. December 18, 2009. External link in
- "Enplanements for CY 2010" (PDF, 189 KB). CY 2010 Passenger Boarding and All-Cargo Data. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2011. External link in
- "List of NPIAS Airports" (PDF). FAA.gov. Federal Aviation Administration. 21 October 2016. Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- "Hancock/Houghton, MI: Houghton County Memorial (CMX)". Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS), Research and Innovative Technology Administration (RITA), U.S. Department of Transportation. Aug 2016. Retrieved Nov 14, 2016.
- Essential Air Service documents (Docket OST-2009-0160) from the U.S. Department of Transportation:
- Ninety-day notice (July 15, 2009): from Mesaba Aviation, Inc. of its intent to discontinue unsubsidized scheduled air service at the following communities, effective October 12, 2009: Paducah, KY; Alpena, MI; Muskegon, MI; Hancock, MI; Sault Ste. Marie, MI; International Falls, MN; Tupelo, MS and Eau Claire, WI.
- Essential Air Service documents (Docket OST-2009-0302) from the U.S. Department of Transportation:
- Memorandum (November 19, 2009): closing out docket DOT-2009-0160 and opening up eight new dockets for the various communities (Alpena, MI; Eau Claire, WI; Hancock/Houghton, MI; International Falls, MN; Muskegon, MI; Paducah, KY; Sault Ste. Marie, MI; Tupelo, MS).
- Order 2009-10-8 (October 16, 2009): selecting SkyWest Airlines, Inc., d/b/a United Express, to provide subsidized essential air service (EAS) at Hancock/Houghton and Muskegon, Michigan, Paducah, Kentucky, and Eau Claire, Wisconsin.
- Order 2012-1-24 (January 26, 2012): tentatively re-selecting SkyWest Airlines, Inc. to provide Essential Air Service (EAS) with subsidy rates as follows: Eau Claire, Wisconsin, $1,733,576; Hancock/Houghton, Michigan, $934,156; Muskegon, Michigan, $1,576,067; and Paducah, Kentucky, $1,710,775.
- Order 2012-2-2 (February 1, 2012): makes final the selection of SkyWest Airlines, Inc., to provide Essential Air Service at Eau Claire, Wisconsin; Hancock/Houghton, Michigan; and Paducah, Kentucky (at Muskegon, the selection of SkyWest was not finalized at this time).
- Order 2013-10-8 (October 21, 2013): reselecting Delta Air Lines, Inc., to provide Essential Air Service (EAS) at Pellston and Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan; and SkyWest Airlines, at Paducah, Kentucky; Hancock/Houghton, and Muskegon, Michigan; and Eau Claire, Wisconsin. The Order also tentatively reselects American Airlines, at Watertown, New York. Hancock/Houghton, Michigan: Docket 2009-0302; Effective Period: January 1, 2014, through January 31, 2016; Service: Fourteen (14) nonstop round trips per week to Chicago O'Hare (ORD); Aircraft Type: CRJ-200; Annual Subsidy: $690,976.
- Official website
- Royale Air Service
- Aerial image as of April 1998 from USGS The National Map
- "Houghton County Memorial Airport" (PDF). at Michigan Airport Directory
- FAA Terminal Procedures for CMX, effective December 8, 2016
- Resources for this airport: