Location (in red) within Paris inner and outer suburbs
|Intercommunality||CA Saint Germain Boucles Seine|
|• Mayor||Alexandre Joly|
|4.43 km2 (1.71 sq mi)|
|• Density||7,200/km2 (19,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||27–57 m (89–187 ft)|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Houilles (French pronunciation: [uj]) is a commune in the Yvelines department in the Île-de-France region in north-central France. It is a northwestern suburb of Paris, located 14.2 km (8.8 mi) from the center of Paris.
Victor Schoelcher, a French abolitionist writer in the 19th century and the main spokesman for a group from Paris who worked for the abolition of slavery died in Houilles on 25 December 1893.
A nursery school, a street and a statue carry his name. The house in which he died in 1893 is at 26 Avenue Victor Schoelcher. Houilles acquired the house in 2011.
Houilles has fifteen preschool and elementary schools and three junior high schools.
Junior high schools:
- Collège Alphonse-de-Lamartine
- Collège Guy-de-Maupassant
- Collège Sainte-Thérèse
Nearby senior high schools/sixth form colleges:
- Lycée Les-Pierres-Vives (Carrières-sur-Seine)
- Lycée Jules-Verne (Sartrouville)
- Lycée Évariste-Galois (Sartrouville)
Twin towns – Sister cities
- Celorico de Basto, Portugal
- Chesham, United Kingdom
- Friedrichsdorf, Germany
- Schoelcher, Martinique
- "Populations légales 2016". INSEE. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- "Liste des établissements scolaires." Houilles. Retrieved on September 2, 2016.
- "Bienvenue au Comité de Jumelage de Houilles". Comité de Jumelage de Houilles (in French). Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- "British towns twinned with French towns". Archant Community Media Ltd. Archived from the original on 2013-07-05. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- "Partnerstädte - Friedrichsdorf". Friedrichsdorf Town Council (in German). © Stadt Friedrichsdorf 2013. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Houilles.|
- Official website (in French)
|This Yvelines geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|