The township's name originates from that of a Taiwanese Plains Aborigines' settlement. During the Kingdom of Tungning, the place was called Aulangsia (Chinese: 後壠社). Other variants of Aulang existed (Chinese: 凹浪/後壟; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Āu-lâng). In 1920, the place was renamed Kōryū Village (Japanese: 後龍庄), under Chikunan District (竹南郡), Shinchiku Prefecture.
- Area: 75.81 square kilometres (29.27 sq mi)
- Population: 37,228 (January 2017 estimate)
The township comprises 23 villages: Beilong, Dashan, Dazhuang, Fengfu, Funing, Fuxing, Haibao, Haipu, Jiaoyi, Longjin, Longkeng, Nangang, Nanlong, Puding, Shuiwei, Tungming, Waipu, Wanbao, Xinmin, Xiushui, Xizhou, Zhonghe and Zhonglong.
Houlong Township is accessible from Dashan Station, Houlong Station, Longgang Station and Fengfu Station of the Taiwan Railway Administration (TRA). Taiwan High Speed Rail has one station in the township, which is Miaoli Station.
- "Entry #40129". 臺灣閩南語常用詞辭典 [Dictionary of Frequently-Used Taiwan Minnan] (in Chinese and Hokkien). Ministry of Education, R.O.C. 2011.
- 106年一月份人口統計下載區 [January 2017 Population Statistic Downloads]. mlhr.miaoli.gov.tw (in Chinese). Miaoli County Government Household Registration Service. January 2017. Retrieved 2017-02-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Houlong Township, Miaoli County.|
- Houlong Township Office (in Chinese)
|This article about a location in Taiwan is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|