The group consisted of musicians Mark Gamble, Cassius Campbell and record producers Mark Brydon and Robert Gordon. Their second single "Walking On Sunshine" was a club hit in 1992, and peaked at #71 in the UK Singles Chart. Ruth Joy was the featured vocalist. Brydon went on to have continued success with a variety of other projects within house/dance music. The most notable of these was as the producer of The Funky Worm, who had a Top 40 hit in the UK Singles Chart in 1988, with "Hustle (To The Music)". However, Brydon's biggest success came from the mid-1990s onwards with vocalist Róisín Murphy, as the producer of Moloko. Gordon was also well known within Sheffield's music scene, and was the co-producer of Forgemasters, "Track With No Name", one of the seminal tracks of the Yorkshire Bleeps and Bass scene. Gordon was also a co-founder of Warp Records, until leaving the label acrimoniously in 1991.
"House Arrest", a sample based dance track, reached #3 on the UK Singles Chart in December 1987 and January 1988. Alongside similar releases by artists such as Bomb the Bass and S'Express, "House Arrest" is considered a pioneering example of British house music. It has since been licensed to numerous compilation albums.
In 1989, Ruth Joy (real name Ruth Joy Oram) launched a solo career, releasing the single "Don't Push It" (UK #66) (backed with "Gimme Your Love") on MCA Records. Both tracks were produced by Mantronik. She followed it up with the single "Soul Power", and in 1991 she released the Carl McIntosh-produced (of the band Loose Ends) "Feel" (UK #67). All of these tracks, plus some additional ones, ended up on her 1992 album, Pride and Joy.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 308. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 217. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 291. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Ruth Joy - Feel at Discogs (list of releases)
- Ruth Joy - Pride And Joy at Discogs (list of releases)
|This article on a United Kingdom electronic music band is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|