House dance is a social dance and Street dance primarily danced to house music (house music is music with tracks laid on top of other tracks) that has roots in the clubs of Chicago and of New York. The main elements of House dance include "Footwork", "Jacking", and "Lofting". House dance is often improvised and emphasizes fast and complex foot-oriented steps combined with fluid movements in the torso, as well as floor work.
"House Dance is an amalgamation of the post-disco era. A lot of their movements and what took place in certain key places, the Jack and a number of clubs after that. It was a community based dance so vocal points were surrounded by music and DJs, but many of the dancers who were not looking to create, ended up becoming a part of that dance vocabulary."
The major source in house dance movement stems directly from the music and the elements within the music such as jazz, African, Latin, soul, R&B, funk, hip hop, etc. The other source is the people, the individuals and their characteristics, ethnicities, origin, etc. You have people of all walks of life partying under one roof. Thus you have exchanges of information (body language) house dance is a social dance before these competitions.
In house dancing, there is an emphasis on the subtle rhythms and riffs of the music, and the footwork follows them closely.
In the early progressions of the dance, there were hundreds of phenomenal dancers that were key in its progression in this social dance scene. However, out of the many there were few instrumental in the introduction of New York house dance culture across the globe. Some of these dancers are Ejoe Wilson, Brian "Footwork" Green, Tony McGregor, Marjory Smarth, Caleaf Sellers, "Brooklyn" Terry Wright, Kim D. Holmes, Shannon Mabra, Tony "Sekou" Williams, Shannon Selby (aka Shan S), Voodoo Ray, and others.
- Reynolds, Simon. Generation Ecstasy: Into the World of Techno and Rave Culture. Routledge, 1999. pp. 1025–1039.
- Sommer, Sally R. "C'mon to My House: Underground-House Dancing." Dance Research Journal, Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 72–86.
- Cheeseman, Phil. "The History Of House" , Dj magazine, December 2003.
video showing of popular house dance steps by Brian " Footwork " Green
- The House Dance Project comprehensive guide to House Dance
- Basic House Dance Moves video tutorials by Jardy Santiago
- MindBodyFLO.com Some of the House Dance culture in the San Francisco Bay Area
- NYC House Dancers showcase video
Competitions and festivals:
- House Dance International international competition and festival focusing on House Dance - USA
- Juste Debout urban dance competition and festival, including House Dance as one major part of the event - France
- SDK Europe competition focusing on Hip Hop New Style, House Dance, Popping and Locking - Czech Republic
- House Dance Europe - Italy
- WDC (World Dance Colosseum) - Japan
- HOUSEDANCEFOREVER international House Dance battle - Netherlands
- House Dance Conference USA