Housefull (2010 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Sajid Khan|
|Produced by||Sajid Nadiadwala|
|Written by||Anvita Dutt
|Screenplay by||Milap Zaveri
|Story by||Sajid Nadiadwala|
|Edited by||Rameshwar S. Bhagat|
|Distributed by||ShowMan Pictures
|Budget||₹450 million (US$6.8 million)|
|Box office||₹1.15 billion (US$17 million)|
Housefull (Hindi: हॉउस फुल) is a 2010 Indian comedy film directed by Sajid Khan, starring Akshay Kumar and Ritesh Deshmukh as the male leads and Deepika Padukone, Lara Dutta and Jiah Khan as the female leads. Arjun Rampal and Boman Irani play important roles in the film, whilst Malaika Arora Khan and Jacqueline Fernandez make special appearances. This would be Jiah Khan's final film before her death in 2013. The film was shot over several months in London and Italy. Produced by Sajid Nadiadwala, the film released at more than 750 theatres on 30 April 2010 in India. It received negative reviews upon release, but was nonetheless a success at the box office. It is the first installment of Housefull film series.
The story follows Aarush, (Akshay Kumar), a 'Panauti' who works in bar and gets money as people lose games of poker. After being rejected from getting married by a girl he goes to London to stay for some time with his best friend, Bob (Ritesh Deshmukh) and his wife, Hetal (Lara Dutta), both working at a casino owned by Mr.Kishore Samtani (Randhir Kapoor). Although at first Hetal is displeased with Aarush's presence, he proves to be a kind-hearted man looking for family. Bob and Hetal decide to get him married to their boss' daughter, Devika Samtani (Jiah Khan). After the marriage, on their honeymoon in Italy, Devika leaves him for her long-time American boyfriend Benny. Aarush decides to commit suicide by drowning in the sea but is saved by a Telugu girl Sandy (Deepika Padukone), who he kissed when she was trying to make him breathe.
Sandy originally thinks Aarush is a pervert, but when Aakhri Pasta (Chunkey Pandey), the owner of Italy's "biggest" hotel where Aarush was spending his honeymoon with Devika, tells Sandy that Aarush is a widower, she befriends him and slowly falls in love with him. What she doesn't know, is that Aakhri Pasta was only joking. She then finds out his wife is alive and leaves him, but when he tries to make her understand, she accepts him.
The only way Aarush can get married to Sandy is by convincing her elder brother, Major Krishna Rao (Arjun Rampal), a strict Indian Military Intelligence officer who loves and is over-protective of Sandy. Meanwhile, Hetal lies to her father, Batuk Patel (Boman Irani), that Bob owns a mansion and they have a child, also Sandy tells his elder brother that Aarush to quite well to do too. The four rent a mansion to make Hetal's dad believe that Bob owns it, but Batuk accidentally believes that Aarush is married to Hetal, and Bob is the cook. Then, Krishna turns up earlier much to Aarush's horror, leading to more lies and they make him believe that Aarush owns the mansion.
For half of the term, the four must pretend that the mansion is owned by Bob, and the rest must pretend that Aarush owns it. An overly suspicious Krishna sees Bob and Hetal working at the casino and uses a lie detector to find the truth. After Sandy objects, Krishna apologises and agrees to Aarush and Sandy's marriage. The whole family is invited to the Royal Palace, to see Krishna get rewarded by the Queen of England. While this is happening, two workers, Santa and Banta Singh, are meant to be installing air conditioning gas for the place, however instead they accidentally supply the hall with laughing gas causing everyone to break into an outburst of laughter. During this laughter, the truth is let out but no one seems to be in the right state of mind.
The 2 workers meanwhile stop the gas from spreading – everyone comes back to their senses. Aarush is still telling Krishna the truth, leading Krishna to break off Sandy's engagement. However, after Sandy tearfully pleads with him, Krishna lets the two get married. In the end, Hetal and Bob live together with Batuk Patel, and Aarush's luck changes for the better.
- Akshay Kumar as Aarush Awasti
- Ritesh Deshmukh as Babu a.k.a Bob Rao
- Deepika Padukone as Soundarya "Sandy" Bhagayalaxmi Venkateshwari Basapa Rao
- Lara Dutta as Hetal Patel
- Jiah Khan as Devika Awasti
- Arjun Rampal as Major Krishna Rao
- Boman Irani as Batuk Patel
- Daisy Irani as Batuk Patel's Mother
- Lillete Dubey as Zulekha Bano
- Chunkey Pandey as Aakhiri Pasta
- Randhir Kapoor as Kishore Samtani
- Malaika as Pooja
- Jacqueline Fernandez as Dhanno (Special appearance in song "Aapka Kya Hoga")
- Vindu Dara Singh as Security Guard
- Suresh Menon as Santa Singh
- Manoj Pahwa as Banta Singh
Anupama Chopra of NDTV said that it was impossible to take the characters seriously, and gave the movie a rating of 2/5. Rediff gave it a 1/5, calling its humour 'lame'. Rajeev Masand of CNN-IBN said 'Housefull' makes you cringe in embarrassment and disgust for what passes off as 'entertainment' and 'cinema' these days. Noyon Jyoti Parasara of AOL India gave it a 2 and said, "What annoys most about 'Housefull' is the fact that Sajid Khan claims this to be his tribute to greats like Manmohan Desai and Hrishikesh Mukherjee. Both have been great filmmakers and had their respective domains and Sajid's attempt at combining both ends up has him falling flat on his face." Gaurav Malani from IndiaTimes gave it 2/5 and said "Housefull is a slap on your senses as the film sticks to the slapstick genre in every literal sense.[...] There are some genuinely funny moments in the second half esp. Boman Irani sleepwalking through his portrayal of Gujarati Sholay. Unfortunately it fails to salvage the harm caused by the bland, boring and banal first half. Housefull ends up being a painful experience."
Upon release, the film had a good opening weekend of Rs. 410 million in India. This gave Akshay Kumar his biggest opening till date, beating Singh Is Kinng. Housefull's opening weekend was the second-highest opening weekend collection of all time, behind 3 Idiots. By the end of the first week, the film collected Rs 498 million, the third-highest first week collection – behind 3 Idiots and Ghajini. It also broke the 2010 record of biggest first week, previously held by My Name Is Khan. Housefull debuted in the United Kingdom at number two and collected Rs 18 million on 55 screens in its opening weekend, while in the United States, the film collected Rs. 28 million on 82 screens in its opening weekend. After six weeks, the film netted Rs. 1.81 billion. The film was declared hit by Box Office India. Houseful 2010 total box office grossing crossed 1 billion mark
Housefull was released in Blu-ray and DVD in October 2010. The film's DVD went on to become the first Bollywood film to release on a 3-Disc edition, as the first disc included the film, the second disc included the video commentary by Sajid Khan, Ritesh Deshmukh, Lara Dutta, Boman Irani and Chunkey Pandey, while the third disc included a documentary.
Awards and nominations
- 6th Apsara Film & Television Producers Guild Awards
- Nominated – Apsara Award for Best Performance in a Comic Role – Riteish Deshmukh
- Best Director – Sajid Khan
- Best Actor – Akshay Kumar
- Best Music – Shankar Ehsaan Loy
- Best Supporting Actress – Lara Dutta
- Best Comedian – Riteish Deshmukh
- Zee Cine Award for Best Track of the Year – "Aapka Kya Hoga (Dhanno)"
- Best Performance in a Comic Role – Riteish Deshmukh
P L Thenappan – the producer of the 1998 Tamil film, Kaathala Kaathala starring Kamal Hassan, Prabhudeva, Rambha, and Soundarya — filed a complaint with the Tamil Film Producers Council alleging that producer Sajid Nadiadwala and director Sajid Khan had remade his film into Hindi without proper permission.
In his complaint, Thenappan said, "I was shocked when I watched the Hindi film as nearly 60 per cent of the scenes from Kadhala Kadhala are there." He also stated that he was in talks with Nadiadwala about selling the remake rights more than a year ago and the deal did not go through.
The film also faced controversy due to the remixed version of the song "Apni Toh Jaise Taise," originally from the 1981 film Laawaris directed by Prakash Mehra, music by Kalyanji Anandji. The Calcutta High Court restrained producer Sajid Nadiadwala from the cinematic use of the song.
The film's soundtrack is composed by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy. The lyrics are penned by Sameer and Amitabh Bhattacharya. The song "Aapka Kya Hoga" was a remake of the song of the same name from the 1981 movie Lawaaris.
|Soundtrack album by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy|
|Released||16 March 2010|
|1.||"Oh Girl You're Mine"||Loy Mendonsa, Tarun Sagar, Alyssa Mendosa||3:56|
|2.||"Papa Jaag Jaayega"||Neeraj Shridhar, Ritu Pathak, Alyssa Mendosa||3:17|
|3.||"I Don't Know What To Do"||Shabbir Kumar, Sunidhi Chauhan||3:20|
|4.||"Aapka Kya Hoga (Dhanno)"||Mika Singh, Sunidhi Chauhan, Sajid Khan||5:08|
|5.||"Loser"||Amitabh Bhattacharya, Vivienne Pocha||3:17|
|6.||"Oh Girl You're Mine" (O Boy What A Girl Mix)||Tarun Sagar, Alyssa Mendosa, Loy Mendonsa||3:39|
|7.||"Papa Jaag Jaayega" (Insane Insomaniac Mix)||Neeraj Shridhar, Ritu Pathak, Alyssa Mendosa||3:44|
|8.||"I Don't Know What To Do" (Shabbir's Sexy 70's Mix)||Shabbir Kumar, Sunidhi Chauhan||4:03|
The soundtrack met with positive reviews. Abid of Glamsham said "Summing up, the album is another fun ride as we encounter one chartbuster after another, and hats off to the trio Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy, who have once again shown that they have the potential to compose as per the demand of the makers and the script" and gave the album 4 stars.
Samir Dave of Planet Bollywood gave 7.5 stars out of 10, stating "SEL deliver a fun 'n' frothy soundtrack that serves up a whole heaping spoonful of happiness." Joginder Tuteja of Bollywood Hungama gave the album 3.5 stars and stated "Housefull is a fun album and never takes itself too seriously to turn into a landmark affair that would be remembered for years to come. The songs are meant to be entertaining enough to fit in well with the film's narrative and not allow any full moment whatsoever to come in." Rudhir Barman of Sampurn Wire awarded the album 3.5 out of possible 5 stars saying "The fast paced journey that everything is taking currently, it’s the survival of what works 'today'. In that aspect, 'Housefull' works and ensures that there won’t be any dull moment once the songs play on screen."
Producer Sajid Nadiadwala announced a sequel to the film on 30 September 2010. In September 2011, it was reported by director Sajid Khan that the film had begun filming. It features Akshay Kumar, Ritesh Deshmukh, Randhir Kapoor, Boman Irani and Chunkey Pandey from the previous film in new characters, whilst new additions include John Abraham, Asin Thottumkal, Jacqueline Fernandez, Zarine Khan, Shreyas Talpade and Shazahn Padamsee. It also stars veteran actors such as Rishi Kapoor, Mithun Chakraborty and Johnny Lever in supporting roles. Furthermore, the film was titled Housefull 2 and released on 6 April 2012 getting mixed response from critics. The sequel was more successful than the prequel and was declared a Blockbuster at the box office, while some had to say that Housefull had much more sense.
Another sequel which is being directed by Sajid-Farhad would feature Akshay Kumar, Ritesh Deshmukh and Jacqueline Fernandez from the previous installments in pivotal roles alongside Abhishek Bachchan, Lisa Haydon and Nargis Fakhri (the newest additions) is scheduled to release on 3 June 2016.
- "'Housefull' will now arrive in April". Indian Express. 14 January 2010. Retrieved 29 January 2010.
- "Budget of Akshay Kumar's Housefull". Indicine.com. Retrieved 8 May 2010.
- "Top Worldwide Grossers ALL TIME: 37 Films Hit 100 Crore".
- ADESARA, H; et al. (4 May 2010). "Box Office: Housefull holds on Monday with Rs 50 million net collections in India". Businessofcinema. Retrieved 6 May 2010.
- "Housefull Movie Reviews- Review Gang". Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- "House Full". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- Anupama Chopra reviews: Housefull
- Housefull Review – Rediff
- Masand: 'Housefull' makes you cringe
- Malani, Gaurav (30 April 2010). "Housefull: Movie Review". IndiaTimes. Retrieved 9 May 2010.
- Adarsh, Taran (30 April 2010). "Housefull Movie Review". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 1 May 2010.
- "'Housefull' nets Rs 640mn worldwide in opening weekend". indiainfoline.com. Retrieved 3 May 2010.
- "Akshay's Record Broken; Deepika's Unlikely Though". Theindian.com. 11 May 2010. Retrieved 11 May 2010.
- Vinod Marani (3 May 2010). "Housefull gets biggest opening since 3 Idiots". Rediff. Retrieved 17 May 2010.
- "Higher First Week Business My Name Is Khan Or Housefull?". Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 11 May 2010.
- "Housefull Movie U.S and U.K Box Official Report". Moviesklix. 5 May 2010. Retrieved 6 May 2010.
- Reynolds, Simon (4 May 2010). "'Iron Man 2' scores UK box office No. 1". Digitalspy. Retrieved 6 May 2010.
- "Bollywood sees a hit first quarter of new fiscal". The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 12 June 2010.
- "Housefull: Box office report Weekwise". Bollywoodtrade.com. Retrieved 20 June 2010.
- "Box Office 2010". BoxofficeIndia.com. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- Dubey, Rachana (12 May 2010). "Housefull on Blu-ray". Hindustantimes. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- "Nominations for 6th Apsara Film & Television Producers Guild Awards". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 7 January 2011.[dead link]
- "Nominations for Zee Cine Awards 2011". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 7 January 2011.[dead link]
- "Remade from Tamil Movie Kadhala Kadhala: Complain by P L Thenappan".[dead link]
- Lalwani, Vickey (1 May 2010). "Court(ing) trouble for Housefull". Indaitimes. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- "Housefull: Soundtrack listing".
- Housefull Music Review – Glamsham
- Housefull Music Review – Planet Bollywood
- "Housefull: Music review by Joginder Tuteja".
- Housefull (2010) – Music Review
- "Sajid Nadiadwala Confirms Housefull 2". Sawf News. 30 September 2010. Retrieved 8 May 2011.
- "Asin replaces Deepika in Housefull 2". The Times of India. 31 January 2011. Retrieved 8 May 2011.
- Official website
- Housefull at AllMovie
- Housefull at the Internet Movie Database
- Housefull at Rotten Tomatoes
- Housefull at Box Office Mojo
- Housefull at Bollywood Hungama