|Original author(s)||Ben Rubin|
|Developer(s)||Life on Air Inc.|
|Operating system||iOS, Android, macOS|
|Type||Video streaming, social networking service|
Houseparty is a social networking service that enables group video chatting through mobile and desktop apps. Users receive a notification when friends are online and available to group video chat. The app is intended for teens who are ready for social media but are not old enough. On average, users spend approximately 51 minutes a day on the app in group or one-on-one chats. It was launched by Life on Air, Inc. in 2016 and is available on iOS and Android mobile devices and macOS devices.
In 2015, Life On Air, Inc., a team headed by founder and CEO Ben Rubin developed the live streaming app Meerkat and raised $12 million in venture capital funding from Greylock Partners in March 2015. Later in 2015, the creators began developing a new app that moved "away from public broadcasts in favour of private chats."
The creators released Houseparty to the App Store and Play Store in February 2016 under a pseudonym. It was developed over 10 months with a website redirecting to the Houseparty app in October 2016. The company raised $52 million in venture capital funding from Sequoia Capital in late 2016. Each session can host up to eight participants with unlimited sessions. As of 2018, it is available on macOS.
- Murphy, David. "Houseparty Makes It Easy to Video Chat with Multiple Friends on Your Mac". Lifehacker. Retrieved 2018-07-01.
- Bell, Karissa. "The video chat app that should scare the hell out of Facebook and Snapchat". Mashable. Retrieved 2018-07-01.
- "The future of social media feels a lot like the past". Quartz. 4 June 2018.
- "Houseparty brings its group video chat app to Mac". The Verge. Retrieved 2018-07-01.
- "What is the Houseparty app and how does it work?". Metro. 2017-09-12. Retrieved 2018-07-01.
- "Houseparty: the teen video chat app taking on Facebook". Financial Times. Retrieved 2018-07-01.
- "Here's how to use Houseparty, the live video app that teens are going crazy for". Business Insider. Retrieved 2018-07-01.
- "Meerkat raises $12 million - Business Insider". Business Insider. 21 March 2015.
- "Meerkat built a new app in secret, and almost 1 million people are using it". The Verge. 28 September 2016.
- "Meerkat live-streaming app 'dead'".
- "With 1 Million Daily Users, Group Video App Houseparty Could Overtake Snapchat In Race To Attract Post-Millennials". NoCamels - Israeli Innovation News. 2016-12-14. Retrieved 2018-07-01.
- "A startup founder's 'comeback' app is catching fire with teens — and it just got a $50 million check". Business Insider. Retrieved 2018-07-01.
- "These apps give you the best features of iOS 12 before the update rolls out". Popular Science. 28 June 2018.
- Houseparty App teams up with Ellen DeGeneres
|This mobile software article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|