|Original author(s)||Ben Rubin|
|Developer(s)||Life on Air Inc.|
|Operating system||iOS, Android, macOS|
|Type||Video streaming, social networking service|
Houseparty is a social networking service that enables group video chatting through mobile and desktop apps. Users receive a notification when friends are online and available to group video chat. On average, users spend approximately 51 minutes a day on the app in group or one-on-one chats. It was launched by Life on Air, Inc. in 2016 and is available on iOS and Android mobile devices and macOS devices.
In 2015, Life On Air, Inc., a team headed by founder and CEO Ben Rubin developed the live streaming app Meerkat and raised $12 million in venture capital funding from Greylock Partners in March 2015. Later in 2015, the creators began developing a new app that moved "away from public broadcasts in favour of private chats."
The creators released Houseparty to the App Store and Play Store in February 2016 under a pseudonym. It was developed over 10 months with a website redirecting to the Houseparty app in October 2016. The company raised $52 million in venture capital funding from Sequoia Capital in late 2016. Each session can host up to eight participants with unlimited sessions. As of 2018, it is available on macOS.
- "Apple on the App Store". iTunes Store. 2019-04-25. Retrieved 2019-04-25.
- "Houseparty". Google Play Store. 2019-04-30. Retrieved 2019-04-30.
- "Apple on the Mac App Store". Google Play Store. 2019-04-16. Retrieved 2019-04-16.
- Murphy, David. "Houseparty Makes It Easy to Video Chat with Multiple Friends on Your Mac". Lifehacker. Retrieved 2018-07-01.
- Bell, Karissa. "The video chat app that should scare the hell out of Facebook and Snapchat". Mashable. Retrieved 2018-07-01.
- "The future of social media feels a lot like the past". Quartz. 4 June 2018.
- "Houseparty brings its group video chat app to Mac". The Verge. Retrieved 2018-07-01.
- "What is the Houseparty app and how does it work?". Metro. 2017-09-12. Retrieved 2018-07-01.
- "Houseparty: the teen video chat app taking on Facebook". Financial Times. Retrieved 2018-07-01.
- "Here's how to use Houseparty, the live video app that teens are going crazy for". Business Insider. Retrieved 2018-07-01.
- "Meerkat raises $12 million - Business Insider". Business Insider. 21 March 2015.
- "Meerkat built a new app in secret, and almost 1 million people are using it". The Verge. 28 September 2016.
- "Meerkat live-streaming app 'dead'".
- "With 1 Million Daily Users, Group Video App Houseparty Could Overtake Snapchat In Race To Attract Post-Millennials". NoCamels - Israeli Innovation News. 2016-12-14. Retrieved 2018-07-01.
- "A startup founder's 'comeback' app is catching fire with teens — and it just got a $50 million check". Business Insider. Retrieved 2018-07-01.
- "These apps give you the best features of iOS 12 before the update rolls out". Popular Science. 28 June 2018.
- Cohen, David; 2019 (2019-01-17). "Houseparty Is Taking Its First Monetization Steps With The Ellen Degeneres Show". www.adweek.com. Retrieved 2019-12-01.
- Rebecca Aydin (June 12, 2019). "Epic Games, the maker of 'Fortnite', acquired teen chat app Houseparty in a surprise deal". Business Insider. Retrieved 2019-12-01.
|This mobile software article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|