Housing Finance Company of Kenya
|Traded as||KN: HFCK|
|Founded||18 November 1965|
|Products||Loans, Checking, Savings, Investments, Mortgages|
|Revenue||Aftertax:US$11.7+ million (KES:995.2 million) (2013)|
|Total assets||US$548.4 million (KES:47.4 billion) (2013)|
Housing Finance Company of Kenya (HFCK), whose official name is Housing Finance Company Limited (HFC Limited), but is commonly referred to as Housing Finance, is a mortgage finance provider in Kenya, the largest economy in the East African Community. The company is the only mortgage company regulated by the Central Bank of Kenya, the central bank and national banking regulator.
Housing Finance Limited is a large mortgage finance company, serving the mortgage needs of the Kenyan population. As of December 2013[update], the company's total assets were valued at approximately US$548.4 million (KES:47.4 billion), with shareholders' equity of about US$67.8 million (KES:5.86 billion). At that time, the institution was ranked number 17, by assets, out of the 43 licensed banks and mortgage finance companies in Kenya, then. Shares of the stock of the holding company of this mortgage bank (Housing Finance Group of Kenya), are listed on the Nairobi Stock Exchange (NSE), where they trade under the symbol HFCK.
The company was established in November 1965, to promote a savings culture and home ownership among the citizens of newly independent Kenya. Major investors in the company included the Commonwealth Development Corporation (CDC), whose shareholding at one time was as high as 60%, and the Government of Kenya, which at one time owned 50% of the company. CDC has since divested from Housing Finance Limited and the Kenyan Government has substantially reduced its shareholding.
In 1992 Housing Finance Company of Kenya became listed on the Nairobi Stock Exchange, where it trades under the symbol HFCK. The company adopted the shorter name of Housing Finance Limited, in 2002. In 2010, the Central Bank of Kenya, authorized HFL to issue and operate checking accounts; having been authorized to issue and operate savings accounts in the past.
On June 30, 2014, British-American Investments Company (the second largest shareholder in HFCK) served the Housing Finance's board with a takeover notice to acquire Equity Group Holdings Limited's 24.76% shareholding in the mortgage financier. A move that would increase Britam's stake to 46.08% and see Equity Group Holdings Limited end its seven-year investment in Housing Finance.
In December 2014, HFCK commenced a restructure of its operations. The restructure involved the following:
- The Incorporation of a new wholly owned subsidiary under the name “HFC Limited”.
- The transfer of the company's banking and mortgage finance business to its newly incorporated subsidiary, HFC Limited.
- The changing of the company's name to “HF Group Limited” and operating as a non-operating holding company. This is in accordance with the CBK Banking Act and Prudential Guidelines.
The company maintains branches at the following locations:
- Rehani Branch - Rehani House, Kenyatta Avenue at Koinange Street, Nairobi
- Gill House Branch - Gill House, Moi Avenue, Nairobi
- Maserah House Branch - Maserah House, Kenyatta Market, Nairobi
- Buru Buru Branch - Epren Centre, Buru Buru, Nairobi
- Mombasa Branch - Permanent House, Moi Avenue, Mombasa
- Nakuru Branch - AFC Building, Geoffrey Kamau Way, Nakuru
- Nyeri Branch - Kimathi Way, Nyeri
- Eldoret Branch -KVDA Plaza, Oloo Street at Utalii Street, Eldoret
- Kisumu Branch - Tivoli Centre, Court Road, Kisumu
- Thika Branch - Uhuru Street, Thika
- Meru Branch - Westwind Annex Plaza, Tom Mboya Street, Meru
- Kitengela Branch - Red Heron Centre, Kitengela
- Ongata Rongai Branch - Maasai Mall, Ongata Rongai
- Nyali Branch - Nyali Centre, Links Road, Nyali.
Steve Mainda, one of the non-executive directors, is the Chairman of the board of directors. Frank Ireri is the managing director of Housing Finance.
- Equity Group Holdings Limited
- British-American Investments Company
- Central Bank of Kenya
- Economy of Kenya
- Ngigi, George (19 February 2014). "Housing Finance Posts 33.9% Growth In Net Profit". Business Daily Africa (Nairobi). Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- CBK (31 October 2017). "Central Bank of Kenya: Commercial Banks & Mortgage Finance Shareholding Information: Institutions with Government Participation". Nairobi: Central Bank of Kenya (CBK). Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- HFCK, . (March 2014). "Audited 31 December 2013 Annual Report And Financial Statements" (PDF). Housing Finance Company of Kenya (HFCK). Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- Bankelele (28 April 2014). "Kenya Bank Rankings By Assets In 2013". Bankelele.Co.Ke. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- My Stocks Kenya (16 January 2017). "HF Group Limited (HFCK): Brief Company Profile". Nairobi: Mystocks.co.ke (My Stocks Kenya). Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- Muiruri, Peter (26 June 2013). "A History of Missed Opportunities Housing Kenyans". The Standard (Nairobi). Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- "Proposed Acquisition by British-American Investments Company (Kenya) Limited of 57,270,000 Ordinary Shares of Housing Finance Company of Kenya Limited owned By Equity Bank Limited under a private transaction" (PDF). Rich Management <www.rich.co.ke>. British-American Investments Company Limited. July 1, 2014. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- "Equity keeps rivals guessing with sale of Sh2b HF stake". Business Daily. Retrieved 2017-08-23.
- "Equity sale of HF stake to Britam lifts firms' share prices". Business Daily. Retrieved 2017-08-23.
- HFCK (11 November 2014). "Housing Finance Company of Kenya - Circular to shareholders: Proposed incorporation of a wholly-owned subsidiary and Proposed transfer of the Company's mortgage finance business to that subsidiary" (PDF). Housing Finance Company of Kenya (HFCK). Retrieved 15 June 2016.
- Mwaniki, Charles (12 November 2014). "Mortgage firm Housing Finance set to form holding unit". Business Daily Africa. Nairobi. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- HFCK, . "The Branches of Housing Finance Company of Kenya". Housing Finance Company of Kenya (HFCK). Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- People, . "Key People At Housing Finance Company of Kenya Limited". Thomson Reuters. Retrieved 7 August 2014.