Houston Forward Times
The Houston Forward Times (FT) is a weekly newspaper headquartered in Houston, Texas. It is one of the largest black-owned newspaper in the city. It is published by the Forward Times Publishing Company, which also publishes other publications such as the Daily Cougar. As of 2014 the FT is one of the few remaining self-printing black newspapers.
Julius Carter started the newspaper, which opened in 1960:
"Julius wanted the Forward Times to be a cutting-edge paper, providing the Black community with news that was relevant to them, as opposed to simply sharing generic national stories or promoting social and church events. Most of the issues and stories that were important to the Black community were either ignored or not picked up by the mainstream White press. This made the Forward Times even more relevant, because it became a primary source of getting information out to the Black community about stories and issues affecting them."
Carter died in 1971 and his wife, Lenora Carter, took over operations of the newspaper. The Forward Times Publishing Company began publishing it in 1977. She continued to publish and edit the newspaper, and was continuing to do so in the 1990s.
The circulation was 17,970 in the 1990s.
Lenora Carter died on April 10, 2010. Karen Carter Richards, daughter of Julius and Lenora Carter, continues as the CEO and Publisher of the Forward Times. In September 2010 the Julius and Lenora Carter Scholarship and Youth Foundation was established, which publicly benefits low- and/or medium-income graduating seniors and college students of private and public schools within the Greater Houston Metropolitan area, and also interns students through the Forward Times Publishing Company.
In October 2, 2015, the Forward Times celebrated 55 years of being in print, "reporting the truth, and giving back to the community"  with a cover feature and a benefit concert, with the proceeds going to the Julius and Lenora Carter Scholarship and Youth Foundation. 
- Allen, Carol M. "What Came Before" (Chapter 1). In: Allen, Carol M. (editor). Ending Racial Preferences: The Michigan Story (Lexington Studies in Political Communication). Lexington Books, February 5, 2009. ISBN 0739138294, 9780739138298, p. 23.
- "Houston Forward Times." Handbook of Texas. Retrieved March 17, 2014.
- "Celebrating 55 Years of Reporting Truth and Giving Back to the Community". forwardtimesonline.com. Retrieved 2016-01-18.
- Amy Helene Forss (1 January 2014). Black Print with a White Carnation: Mildred Brown and the Omaha Star Newspaper, 1938-1989. U of Nebraska Press. p. 98. ISBN 978-0-8032-4954-7.
- "Times Media Kit 2013.pdf Media Kit" (Archive). Houston Forward Times, p. 2/11. Retrieved January 18, 2016.
- "The Houston Forward Times Celebrates 55 Years". www.adweek.com. Retrieved 2016-01-18.
|This newspaper-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|