How Do U Want It
|"How Do U Want It"|
|Single by 2Pac featuring K-Ci & JoJo|
|from the album All Eyez on Me|
|Released||June 4, 1996|
|Recorded||October 1995; Can-Am Studios |
(Los Angeles, California)
|Genre||Hip hop, R&B|
|Length||4:47 (album version)|
3:59 (radio edit)
|2Pac singles chronology|
|K-Ci & JoJo singles chronology|
"How Do U Want It" is a song performed by Tupac Shakur. The third single from his album All Eyez on Me, it features R&B duo K-Ci & JoJo, who at the time were best known as the lead singers of Jodeci. The song was released on June 4, 1996. It was a Double A-side single to "California Love" in the United States, and the song reached #1 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and #17 in the UK in 1996.
It samples Quincy Jones's "Body Heat" from his 1974 album, Body Heat. The song includes a diss of noted gangsta rap critic C. Delores Tucker. The Concert/Clean version's 3rd verse completely differs to the version found on the album. The song appears in the 1997 film, Gang Related, which was Tupac's final film performance prior to his death, and also appears in the 2002 film Friday After Next.
There were three videos filmed for this song: two in the same set for the single in April 1996 directed by Ron Hightower and produced by Tracy D. Robinson. These two are distinguished by music ratings (one is certified adult material). The video portrays a wild sex party with jacuzzi, mechanical bull riding, cage dancing and pole stripping. All actors and actresses are dressed in renaissance-age costumes, though all clothes are removed for the nude clip. The adult-material video also features numerous porn stars, including Nina Hartley, Heather Hunter, and Angel Kelly.
The limousine segment seen in the clean version is the same except no nudity. The third one is the concert version, mostly them performing on stage (not the House Of Blues live performance). There are cameo appearances by K-Ci & JoJo, and fellow group member of Digital Underground Shock G both in the concert and studio segments.
- "How Do U Want It" (LP Version)
- "California Love" (Long Radio Edit)
- "2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted" (LP Version)
- "Hit 'Em Up"
Charts and certifications
End of year charts
Albums with the song
- All Eyez on Me
- Greatest Hits
- Nu-Mixx Klazzics
- 2Pac Live
- Tupac: Live at the House of Blues
- 2 PAC-The Prophet Returns
- Best of 2Pac
- 2Pac - How Do You Want It (Concert Version). Youtube. Retrieved September 6, 2014.
- 39th Grammy Awards - 1997. Rock on the Net. Retrieved September 6, 2014.
- "Australian-charts.com – 2 Pac feat. KC and JoJo – How Do U Want It". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved January 25, 2012.
- "2Pac > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved January 25, 2012.
- "2 Pac feat. KC and JoJo: How Do U Want It" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland. Retrieved January 25, 2012.
- "Lescharts.com – 2 Pac feat. KC and JoJo – How Do U Want It" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved January 25, 2012.
- "Charts.nz – 2 Pac feat. KC and JoJo – How Do U Want It". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved January 25, 2012.
- "Hit Parade Italia - Indice per Interprete: 0". Hit Parade Italia. Retrieved July 6, 2012.
- "Swedishcharts.com – 2 Pac feat. KC and JoJo – How Do U Want It". Singles Top 100. Retrieved January 25, 2012.
- "Swisscharts.com – 2 Pac feat. KC and JoJo – How Do U Want It". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved January 25, 2012.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved January 25, 2012.
- "2Pac Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved January 25, 2012.
- "2Pac Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved January 25, 2012.
- "End of Year Charts 1996". Recorded Music NZ. Retrieved December 3, 2017.
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1996". Archived from the original on 2009-03-01. Retrieved 2010-08-27.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 1997 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "New Zealand single certifications – 2Pac – How Do You Want It?". Recorded Music NZ.
- "Best-Selling Records of 1996". Billboard. BPI Communications Inc. 109 (3): 61. January 18, 1997. ISSN 0006-2510. Retrieved May 7, 2015.
- "American single certifications – 2 Pac – How Do U Want It/California Love". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.