How Do You Live? (film)
|How Do You Live?|
|Hepburn||Kimi-tachi wa Dō Ikiru ka|
|Directed by||Hayao Miyazaki|
|Produced by||Toshio Suzuki|
|Based on||How Do You Live?|
by Yoshino Genzaburo
How Do You Live? (Japanese: 君たちはどう生きるか, Hepburn: Kimi-tachi wa Dō Ikiru ka) is an upcoming Japanese animated film directed by Hayao Miyazaki and animated by Studio Ghibli. The film is named after the 1937 novel written by Yoshino Genzaburo.
The film centers around how a particular book, titled How Do You Live?, features prominently in the protagonist's life.
Miyazaki commenced animation work in July 2016, later confirmed by studio executive Toshio Suzuki. With Miyazaki coming out of retirement, Studio Ghibli re-opened with many of the past collaborators working on the project.
In October 2017, Studio Ghibli announced the film will be titled How Do You Live?. Toshio Suzuki said that Miyazaki is working on the film for his grandson as his way of saying "Grandpa is moving onto the next world soon but he is leaving behind this film".
Suzuki said in August 2018 the projections were for 2021 or 2022 completion. In a late 2019 interview with NHK, Miyazaki stated that the film is not to be expected anytime soon; he said that in his younger age he used to produce 10 minutes of animation every month, but now his speed is reduced to 1 minute per month. As of October 2019, the film was confirmed to be 15% complete. In May 2020, Suzuki told Entertainment Weekly that 60 animators were working on the film; an estimated 36 minutes of the film had been completed after three years of production. Suzuki said "we are still hand-drawing everything, but it takes us more time to complete a film because we're drawing more frames" and they are "hoping it will finish in the next three years." On December 2020, Suzuki stated that the film was working with no deadlines, similar to The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (2013) which took 8 years to make. He said that the animation was half-finished with production running faster, due to COVID-19 restrictions requiring them to work at home, and the film will be 125 minutes long. He also revealed that Miyazaki wanted to adapt Earwig and the Witch while he was developing How Do You Live?. His son Gorō Miyazaki took the helm of Earwig's adaptation and directed it.
- "Hayao Miyazaki's Final Film Title is How Do You Live?". The Outerhaven. October 28, 2017. Archived from the original on February 21, 2018. Retrieved March 3, 2018.
- "Ghibli's Hayao Miyazaki Reveals His 'Final' Film's Title, Release Window". Anime News Network. Archived from the original on February 24, 2018. Retrieved March 4, 2018.
- "Studio Ghibli reopens for Hayao Miyazaki's new film". Engadget. Archived from the original on December 14, 2017. Retrieved March 3, 2018.
- "Details Revealed on Hayao Miyazaki's New Anime Film How Do You Live?". GeekTyrant. Archived from the original on February 13, 2018. Retrieved March 3, 2018.
- "Hayao Miyazaki's Next Film Is 15% Complete After 3.5 Years". Anime News Network. Retrieved January 2, 2020.
- "Studio Ghibli co-founder teases Hayao Miyazaki's next 'big, fantastical' film". Entertainment Weekly. May 13, 2020. Retrieved May 13, 2020.
- Harza, Adriana. "Ghibli Producer: Hayao Miyazaki's 'How Do You Live?' Film's Animation Is Half Finished". Anime News Network. Retrieved March 13, 2021.
- Yanagabashi, Kan. "Ghibli Rebooted: Studio Goes 3D for New Movie "Earwig and the Witch"". Nippon.com. Retrieved March 13, 2021.