How to Hook Up Your Home Theater
|How to Hook Up Your Home Theater|
Poster for How to Hook Up Your Home Theater
|Directed by||Kevin Deters
|Produced by||Tamara Boutcher
|Story by||Kevin Deters
|Voices by||Bill Farmer
|Music by||Michael Giacchino|
|Animation by||Andreas Deja
|Studio||Walt Disney Pictures
Walt Disney Animation Studios
|Distributed by||Walt Disney Studios
|Release date(s)||December 21, 2007|
|Running time||6 minutes|
How to Hook Up Your Home Theater is a 2007 theatrical cartoon from Walt Disney Animation Studios, directed by Kevin Deters and co-directed by Stevie Wermers-Skelton. This is the first theatrical Goofy solo cartoon short made in 46 years, since Aquamania. In the style of Goofy's "Everyman" cartoons of the 1950s, this short follows Goofy as he buys and then sets up his home theater system, to watch football.
The short was partially produced using a new "paperless" production pipeline for Disney, the first major change in production technique for hand-drawn animation at Disney since the introduction of CAPS, and was also an attempt to see if the new digital animation tools could be used to produce a short with the same graphic look as that of a late 1940s, early 1950s cartoon. Instead of animating with pencil on paper, some of the animators, such as Dale Baer, worked on Wacom's cintiq tablets along with Toon Boom Harmony for the animation, while other animators such as Mark Henn and Andreas Deja continued to work in the traditional method with pencil on paper. It was reported on Animation World Network that about 50% of the short was done using the new paperless technique.
The short was released with the Disney film National Treasure: Book of Secrets on December 21, 2007. It was also paired with The Game Plan for the film's release in the United Kingdom. The short was shown early at the "Animate with the Greats" class taking place at Facet's Theatre. Several Walt Disney Animation Studios animation artists taught the class, including Kevin Deters and Stevie Wermers. It is also available for purchase on the iTunes Store. It was included in the Animation Show of Shows in 2007.
How to Hook Up Your Home Theater will be released on the Walt Disney Animation Studios Short Films Collection Blu-ray on August 18, 2015.
References to other media
- The two football teams are called the Dawgs and the Geefs, both of which refer to two of Goofy's pseudonyms over the years, Dippy Dawg (his earliest incarnation) and George Geef (the name he went by in his "everyman" shorts of the 1950s).
- When the box arrives, a label on the box says "Dopey Digital", a reference to Dolby Digital and Snow White. The construction number on the side of the box is M1C-K3Y MO-U5E, a reference to Mickey Mouse.
- On Goofy's shelf there is a photo of Walt Disney, Clarabelle Cow and Goofy's first appearance from Mickey's Revue.
- How to Hook Up Your Home Theater at Walt Disney Animation Studios
- How to Hook Up Your Home Theater at the Internet Movie Database
- How to Hook Up Your Home Theater at The Encyclopedia of Disney Animated Shorts
- Keeping It Old School: Looking Like the 40s in a Digital Age
- How to Hook Up Your Animated Short at Disney
- Deja and Henn on the Return of the Goof
- Kaytis, Clay (November 4, 2007). "Show 021 – Dale Baer, Part One". The Animation Podcast. Retrieved August 26, 2011.
- Bill Desowitz, "How to Hook Up Your Animated Short at Disney", Animation World Network, November 16, 2007
- How to Hook Up Your Animated Short at Disney | AWN | Animation World Network
- Doty, Meriah (June 4, 2015). "'Frozen Fever' (and Easter Eggs!) Coming Soon on Disney Shorts Blu-ray (Exclusive)". Yahoo! Movies. Retrieved June 4, 2015.