How We Do (song)
|"How We Do"|
|Single by The Game featuring 50 Cent|
|from the album The Documentary|
|Released||November 23, 2004|
|Format||Digital download, CD single, 12 inch|
|Genre||Gangsta rap, West Coast hip hop|
|Songwriter(s)||Jayceon Taylor, Mike Elizondo, Curtis Jackson, Andre Young|
|Producer(s)||Dr. Dre, Mike Elizondo|
|The Game singles chronology|
|50 Cent singles chronology|
"How We Do" is a song by American rapper and West Coast hip hop artist The Game, featuring rapper 50 Cent from his debut album, The Documentary. Produced by Dr. Dre, Mike Elizondo, it was released as the album's second official single in late 2004.
"How We Do" achieved commercial success worldwide. The track peaked within the top 10 in multiple countries, including the United Kingdom, Ireland, Netherlands, Switzerland, Germany and New Zealand. The single was commercially successful in the United States, peaking at #4 on the Billboard Hot 100 and remaining on the chart for 28 consecutive weeks. "How We Do" marked Game's first top-ten single on the chart as a lead artist and also marked 50 Cent's fifth overall top-ten single.
This song is considered to be one of Game's most well-known and recognizable songs.
The song was a hit at Urban and Rhythmic radio stations in America, and was a success on American mainstream pop music radio stations. In the U.S., the song debuted at #65 and peaked at #4 on the Billboard Hot 100 in early 2005, making it The Game's first top-five hit. The song was also certified Gold by the RIAA.
The song fell down the charts relatively quickly for a top-ten hit. This was likely due to an overabundance of Shady/Aftermath/G-Unit-related singles all competing for airtime during this time period, as Eminem and G-Unit members 50 Cent, Lloyd Banks, Young Buck, and Game all had songs on the chart during the months of late 2004 and early 2005. However, despite its fast fall out of the top twenty, the song managed to hang on in the lower rungs of the top 40 for months, in spite of, or possibly because of, The Game's follow up, "Hate It or Love It" becoming even bigger on pop radio only a few weeks after "How We Do" had peaked. Dr. Dre had produced "How We Do" during his time in N.W.A
The music video was directed by Hype Williams, it features cameos by Dr. Dre and Olivia. It showcases night shots of Los Angeles; as well as a Dodge Magnum, driven by The Game, and a Cadillac Escalade, driven by 50 Cent; as it finally cuts to a nightclub. Carmelo Anthony can be briefly seen towards the end, raising a glass of champagne.
Single track listing
- "How We Do (edited)" (4:03)
- "How We Do (edited)" (4:03)
- "How We Do (explicit)" (4:20)
- "How We Do (instrumental)" (4:04)
- "How We Do (a cappella)" (3:01)
Charts and certifications
- "The Documentary’ Wasn’t The Original Title Of Game’s First Album Plus 9 Other Little Known Facts On Its 10th Anniversary". Retrieved February 5, 2016.
- "Australian-charts.com – The Game feat. 50 Cent – How We Do". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- "Austriancharts.at – The Game feat. 50 Cent – How We Do" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- "Ultratop.be – The Game feat. 50 Cent – How We Do" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- "Ultratop.be – The Game feat. 50 Cent – How We Do" (in French). Ultratop 50. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- "Brazil" (PDF). ABPD. October 6, 2001. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "The Game – Chart history" European Hot 100 for The Game.
- "Lescharts.com – The Game feat. 50 Cent – How We Do" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- "charts.de". charts.de. 2005-01-18. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- "Chart Track: Week 9, 2005". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – week 13, 2005" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40
- "Charts.org.nz – The Game feat. 50 Cent – How We Do". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – The Game feat. 50 Cent – How We Do". VG-lista. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- "Swisscharts.com – The Game feat. 50 Cent – How We Do". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Archive Chart: 2005-02-26" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved March 03, 2011.
- "The Game – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for The Game. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- "The Game – Chart history" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for The Game.
- "The Game – Chart history" Billboard Hot Rap Songs for The Game.
- "2005 Year End Swiss Singles Chart". Swiss Music Charts. 2005. Archived from the original on 2006-02-13. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- "End Of Year Charts: 2005" (PDF). UKChartsPlus. Retrieved 2011-03-30.
- "2005 Year End Charts: The Billboard Hot 100". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2005-11-26. Retrieved 2011-03-30.
- "RIAA – Gold & Platinum: "The Game"". Recording Industry Association of America. Archived from the original on February 25, 2013. Retrieved February 25, 2011.