How We Got to Now
|How We Got to Now|
|Presented by||Steven Johnson|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||1|
|No. of episodes||6|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Picture format||16:9 1080i|
How We Got to Now is a British-American factual television series that was broadcast on PBS in 2014 and BBC Two in 2015. The series was commissioned by the BBC in the United Kingdom and made by Nutopia, a British-American production company in the United States. The six-part series, presented by Steven Johnson, explores the legacy of great ideas. Episode titles for the six parts are: 1) Clean, 2) Time, 3) Glass, 4) Light, 5) Cold, and 6) Sound. The historical characters who appear include Thomas Edison, Clarence Birdseye, Frederick McKinley Jones, Willis Carrier, Tim Berners-Lee, Hedy Lamarr, and Mark Zuckerberg.
The factual series is a co-production between Nutopia, a British-American production company, and PBS. The producer is Diene Petterle, a Brazilian-born British film, television and theatrical producer, and the executive producers are Jane Root, Peter Lovering, and Michael Jackson. A companion book was published by Riverhead Books and a companion website has been created to explore present day innovations. The show was distributed by BBC Worldwide and received funding from the CPB/PBS Program Challenge Fund. Episode titles for the six parts are: 1) Clean, 2) Time, 3) Glass, 4) Light, 5) Cold, and 6) Sound.
- Pippa Considine (7 August 2013). "Nutopia to make How We Got to Now for BBC and PBS". Televisual.com. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- Tobar, Hector (7 August 2013). "Author Steven Johnson to host new PBS series, 'How We Got to Now'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- "HOW WE GOT TO NOW With Steven Johnson". PBS. 6 August 2013. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- PBS.org: How We Got to Now
- Philip Fisher. "Hardly a conventional British theatrical couple". British Theatre Guide. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- White, Peter (7 August 2013). "BBC cooks up Nutopia science series". Broadcast Now. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- Considine, Pippa (7 August 2013). "Nutopia to make How We Got to Now for BBC and PBS". Televisual. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- How We Got to Now | PBS, retrieved 2018-11-02
- Knox, David (24 February 2014). "Airdate: How We Got to Now". TV Tonight. Retrieved 24 February 2015.