How You Remind Me
|"How You Remind Me"|
|Single by Nickelback|
|from the album Silver Side Up|
|Released||August 21, 2001|
|Recorded||June 2001 at Greenhouse Studios, Burnaby, British Columbia|
|Nickelback singles chronology|
Problems playing this file? See media help.
"How You Remind Me" is a song by Canadian rock band Nickelback. It was released on August 21, 2001 as the lead single from their third studio album Silver Side Up (2001). A "Gold Mix" was made for latter editions of the single with the heavier guitars edited out of the chorus. Lead vocalist and guitarist Chad Kroeger wrote the song about his old girlfriend Jodi, with whom he had a dysfunctional relationship. He referred to this song as the song that put Nickelback on the map when played at their concert in Sturgis, South Dakota, and is often considered to be their signature song.
"How You Remind Me" was named the number one most played song on U.S. radio of the 2000s decade by Nielsen Soundscan, being spun over 1.2 million times on U.S. airwaves since its release in 2001 to the end of 2009. The song was named fourth on the Billboard Hot 100 Songs of the Decade and 75th in the UK decade-end chart. It was nominated for the Kerrang! Award for Best Single. "How You Remind Me" was also rated the number one rock song and number 4 alternative song of the decade of the 2000s by Billboard. The song was featured in the music video game Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock. The song played a large role in a Saturday Night Live skit on March 10, 2018 with Sterling K. Brown in which the lyrics are a dying woman's final words.
The music video for "How You Remind Me" was directed by the Brothers Strause, and featured Nickelback playing a small venue with focus on a female audience member. Chad Kroeger admitted to disliking the idea of a small venue performance at first, opting for a bigger scale arena concert; however, he found the outcome of the video satisfying.
In the video, Kroeger plays a man whose girlfriend (played by model Annie Henley) has left him and is still haunted by her memory. He still feels strongly for her, and sees her everywhere he goes. Whenever he imagines her touch, he feels a warm memory, indicated by the change in lighting in the video. As the music video progresses, he starts to get over her. At the end, she shows up and apparently asks him to forgive her. This is what he thought he had wanted all along, but suddenly he realizes that it isn't really what he wanted, and pushes her away. She is left with a broken heart and haunted by memories, as he had been at the beginning of the video.
Another version of the video exists, and has been played on some UK and Australian music channels. The video simply features the footage of the band playing from the main video, added to footage of the band's live performances and tour movies.
Chart performances and awards
Due to its high sales and massive airplay, "How You Remind Me" was ranked as the top single of 2002 by Billboard magazine. The single was certified Gold by the RIAA in 2005, for sales of over 500,000 copies, and by late 2010 it had sold around 860,000 copies total. The song went on to rack up four Billboard Music Awards, four Juno Awards. "How You Remind Me" was the number one Most Played Song of 2002 in the United States, across all formats, according to Billboard Monitor. In 2003, the song was nominated for Grammy Award for Record of the Year. "How You Remind Me" was the number one song on the Billboard's 2002 Year-End Hot 100 Singles Chart, and VH1 ranked the song as the 16th Greatest Power Ballad.
The song was listed at number 36 on Billboard's All Time Top 100. The song also hit number one on the Kerrang! feature, 21st Century's Official 100 Rock Best Sellers. The song was the 75th best-selling single of the 2000s in the UK. In Germany, it's not just the band's best-charting single by reaching number 3 on the German Singles Chart, it's also Nickelback's longest-staying single on that chart, namely a total of 30 weeks. In 2011, Fuse TV named it the number one song of the decade. It was listed as number 9 at the Billboard Hot 100 top 100 Rock Songs of the last 50 years. Loudwire listed the song as number 30 on its list "Top 21st Century Hard Rock Songs".
- CD single
- "How You Remind Me" (Album version) — 3:45
- "How You Remind Me" (Acoustic) — 3:39
- "Little Friend" — 3:48
- CD maxi
- "How You Remind Me" (Gold Mix) — 3:45
- "How You Remind Me" (LP Version) — 3:30
- "Little Friend" — 3:48
- "How You Remind Me" (Video)
|United States||August 21, 2001|
|United Kingdom||March 25, 2002|
|Australia (ARIA)||2× Platinum||140,000^|
|Austria (IFPI Austria)||Gold||20,000*|
|Switzerland (IFPI Switzerland)||Gold||20,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Platinum||600,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
Avril Lavigne version
|"How You Remind Me"|
2-track CD edition cover
|Promotional single by Avril Lavigne|
|from the album One Piece Film: Z and Avril Lavigne|
|Released||12 December 2012|
"How You Remind Me" was recorded by Canadian singer-songwriter Avril Lavigne for the anime film One Piece Film: Z. It was reported on 17 October 2012 that Lavigne would be contributing two cover songs to the film: the latter track and a cover of Joan Jett's "Bad Reputation". Lavigne later confirmed the new recording on 5 November 2012. It was released on 11 December 2012 as a digital download from the One Piece Film: Z Original Soundtrack. The 2-track promotional CD single was released on the next day, exclusive to Japan.
The song was re-released on 19 December 2013 by iTunes Stores as a digital download promotional single for her self-titled fifth album. Later, it was included in the Japan, Taiwan and China Tour Edition of the album as one of the bonus tracks.
Lavigne was in the studio with Kroeger working on her fifth studio album when she was asked to contribute a song to the film, but didn't have time to write another song during the studio sessions they had left. Kroeger later explained that it was Lavigne's idea to cover the song, stating:
"Avril jokingly suggested to cover a Nickelback song, but then we both figured it'd actually be a good idea to do "How You Remind Me". We recorded a version more similar to the original, but we both were not happy with it, thinking it needs its own spin. Avril then rearranged the song and we all liked it."
- CD single
- "How You Remind Me" – 4:05
- "Bad Reputation" – 2:42
- Digital download
- "How You Remind Me" – 4:05
|Japan||December 12, 2012||CD||Sony Japan|||
|United States||December 19, 2013||Digital download||Epic|||
- To See or Not to See: Nickelback. Metro. Retrieved September 15, 2008
- How You Remind Me Songfacts
- "Eminem Is The Best-Selling Artist Of The Decade - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV. 2009-12-08. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- Hot 100 Decade Songs
- Helman, Peter (March 11, 2018). "Watch SNL's Random Nickelback Fan Deathbed Sketch". Spin.
-  Archived 2010-12-26 at the Wayback Machine.
- "The Greatest | Show Cast, Episodes, Guides, Trailers, Web Exclusives, Previews". VH1.com. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- "The Billboard Hot 100 All-Time Top Songs" (40-31)
- Radio 1 Chart of the Decade, as presented by DJ Nihal on December 29, 2009
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche". musicline.de. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- Ramanand, L,z. "No. 30: Nickelback, 'How You Remind Me' – Top 21st Century Hard Rock Songs: Read More: No. 30: Nickelback, 'How You Remind Me' – Top 21st Century Hard Rock Songs". Loudwire. Retrieved 30 October 2015.
- "Australian-charts.com – Nickelback – How You Remind Me". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Nickelback – How You Remind Me" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Nickelback – How You Remind Me" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Nickelback – How You Remind Me" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "Brazil" (PDF). ABPD. October 6, 2001. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "Danishcharts.com – Nickelback – How You Remind Me". Tracklisten.
- "Nickelback: How You Remind Me" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Lescharts.com – Nickelback – How You Remind Me" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Musicline.de – Nickelback Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- Irish Single Chart Irishcharts.ie Archived January 5, 2010, at the Wayback Machine. (Retrieved 10 April 2008)
- "Italiancharts.com – Nickelback – How You Remind Me". Top Digital Download.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Nickelback" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.nz – Nickelback – How You Remind Me". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Nickelback – How You Remind Me". VG-lista.
- "Romanian peak". Archived from the original on December 17, 2004. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Nickelback – How You Remind Me". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Nickelback – How You Remind Me". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Official Rock & Metal Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Nickelback Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved October 28, 2018.
- "Nickelback Chart History (Adult Pop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved October 28, 2018.
- "Nickelback Chart History (Alternative Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved October 28, 2018.
- "Nickelback Chart History (Mainstream Rock)". Billboard. Retrieved October 28, 2018.
- "Nickelback Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved October 28, 2018.
- "Listy bestsellerów, wyróżnienia :: Związek Producentów Audio-Video". Polish Airplay Top 100. Retrieved August 22, 2016.
- 2002 Australian Singles Chart aria.com Archived July 6, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. (Retrieved August 8, 2008)
- 2002 Austrian Singles Chart Austriancharts.at Archived March 12, 2014, at the Wayback Machine. (Retrieved 8 August 2008)
- 2002 Belgian (Flanders) Singles Chart Ultratop.be Archived January 26, 2014, at the Wayback Machine. (Retrieved 8 August 2008)
- 2002 Belgian (Wallonia) Singles Chart Ultratop.be Archived April 17, 2008, at the Wayback Machine. (Retrieved 8 August 2008)
- "Single top 100 over 2002" (PDF) (in Dutch). Top40. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
- 2002 French Singles Chart Ifop.com Archived 2008-10-14 at the Wayback Machine. (Retrieved 8 August 2008)
- 2002 Irish Singles Chart Irma.ie (Retrieved December 11, 2008)
- "End of Year Charts 2002". Recorded Music NZ. Retrieved December 12, 2017.
- 2002 Swiss Singles Chart Hitparade.ch Archived December 3, 2013, at the Wayback Machine. (Retrieved 8 August 2008)
- 2002 UK Singles Chart ChartsPlus (Retrieved 8 August 2008)
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2001 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 8 August 2008.
- "Austrian single certifications – Nickelback – How You Remind Me" (in German). IFPI Austria. Retrieved 8 August 2008. Enter Nickelback in the field Interpret. Enter How You Remind Me in the field Titel. Select single in the field Format. Click Suchen.
- "Ultratop − Goud en Platina – singles 2002". Ultratop. Hung Medien. Retrieved 8 August 2008.
- "French single certifications – Nickelback – How You Remind Me" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. Retrieved 1 August 2008.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Nickelback; 'How You Remind Me')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie. Retrieved 8 August 2008.
- "Italian single certifications – Nickelback – How You Remind Me" (in Italian). Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana. Retrieved October 29, 2018.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (Nickelback; 'How You Remind Me')". IFPI Switzerland. Hung Medien. Retrieved 8 August 2008.
- "British single certifications – Nickelback – How You Remind Me". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 8 August 2008. Select singles in the Format field. Select Platinum in the Certification field. Type How You Remind Me in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "American single certifications – Nickelback – How You Remind Me". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 8 August 2008. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.
- "Canadian Singer Avril Lavigne Contributes One Piece Film Z Themes". Anime News Network. 2012-10-17. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- "Twitter / AvrilLavigne". Twitter. Retrieved 21 December 2012.
- "One Piece Film Z Soundtrack". CDJapan.co.jp. Retrieved August 22, 2013.
- "Avril Lavigne – How You Remind Me". Discogs. Retrieved 12 December 2012.
- "How You Remind Me - Single by Avril Lavigne". US: iTunes Store. Archived from the original on February 8, 2015. Retrieved December 19, 2013.
- "艾薇儿 Avril Lavigne:同名专辑 中国巡演限量版 China Version(2CD 附中国巡演限量周边毛巾)". Amazon.cn. Retrieved March 4, 2014.
- "Avril Lavigne - How You Remind Me". YouTube. Retrieved 8 January 2013.
- "How You Remind Me - Single by Avril Lavigne". Canada: iTunes Store. Archived from the original on February 8, 2015. Retrieved December 19, 2013.