How to Dress Well
|How to Dress Well|
|Birth name||Tom Krell|
September 10, 1984 |
Chicago, Illinois, United States
|Genres||Ambient, experimental, alternative R&B, lo-fi, electronic|
|Labels||Lefse Records, Tri Angle, Domino, Weird World|
How to Dress Well is the stage name of American singer-songwriter Tom Krell.
Beginning in 2009, Krell started to turn out free EPs on his blog under the name How To Dress Well. He didn't release his name or his photo, but critics quickly picked up on Krell's music and brought him out of the shadows.
Love Remains (2010)
How To Dress Well's debut album, Love Remains, was released in 2010 on Lefse in the United States and on Tri Angle in Europe and Asia. The album assembled the best of Krell's early EPs and garnered vast critical acclaim. It received a score of 8.7 and the "Best New Music" designation from music review site Pitchfork Media. Stereogum recognized How To Dress Well as one of its "40 Best Bands of 2010". Spin gave the album 8 out of 10 stars, calling it "as meditative as it is evocative... conjuring fractured memories of Shai or TLC".
Just Once EP (2011)
In 2011, How To Dress Well released the Just Once EP — a four-song suite of "Suicide Dream" songs set against a string quartet. The EP collects two previously released tracks bearing the name "Suicide Dream", adds a third with that title, and throws in a new version of "Decisions". The set was inspired by and is dedicated to a friend of Krell's who died. Limited to 1000 copies, the 10" vinyl release donated $1 of every record sold to a nonprofit working to raise awareness about mental illness.
Total Loss (2012)
On the heels of the success of Love Remains, Krell signed a deal with Weird World Records, an imprint of Domino Records. Total Loss was released on September 18, 2012 in North America by Acephale Records and worldwide through Weird World Records. Krell wrote the album over the course of 15 months or so, in Brooklyn, Chicago, Nashville, and London. The album received a “Best New Music” nod from Pitchfork Media, where Ian Cohen wrote that it is "a work of poignant and devastating art."  It was also named by Pitchfork as one of the "Top 50 Albums of 2012".
"What Is This Heart?" (2014)
In April 2014, How To Dress Well released the first single off their forthcoming third studio album, "Repeat Pleasure". The album was released on June 23, 2014 via Domino Records / Weird World Records  and was very well received by music critics, earning an 8.8 and “Best New Music” designation from Pitchfork. Paste Magazine noted that “Krell has managed to indulge his experimental tendencies while at the same time achieve his most accessible sound to date.” 
Capitalizing on the success of What Is This Heart? How To Dress Well embarked on a world tour, beginning in the spring of 2014. The tour started off with shows in Europe, and continued on to include stops in North America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and cities throughout Asia. The band performed at a number of major European, North American and Asian festivals, including Flow Festival, Hostess Club Weekender, and Pitchfork Music Festival, to name a few.
- Just Once (2011)
- Krell, Tom (2009). "2009 archive". How to Dress Well blog. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- Raymer, Miles (2010). "Plagued by Pitchfork". Reader.
- "How to Dress Well: Love Remains | Album Reviews". Pitchfork. 2010-09-24. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "Stereogum’s 40 Best New Bands Of 2010". Stereogum. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- Hogan, Marc. "How to Dress Well, 'Love Remains' (Lefse) | SPIN | Albums | Critical Mass". SPIN. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- How To Dress Well. "Just Once EP".
- Phares, Heather. "Total Loss - How to Dress Well : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- Cohen, Ian (September 20, 2012). "How to Dress Well". Pitchfork.
- "The Top 50 Albums of 2012". Pitchfork. Retrieved 2014-07-26.
- ""Repeat Pleasure" - How to Dress Well". Indie Shuffle. Retrieved 2014-04-07.
- "whatisthisheart.com". whatisthisheart.com. Retrieved 2014-07-26.
- Cohen, Ian (June 23, 2014). "How to Dress Well – "What Is This Heart?"". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- Hurston, Benjamin (June 24, 2014). "How to Dress Well – "What Is This Heart?"". Paste Magazine. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- "CHART LOG UK: NEW ENTRIES UPDATE : COMBINED SINGLES (200) : Chart Date: 0 5.07.2014". Zobbel.de. Retrieved 2014-07-13.