How to Kill and Be Killed
|How to Kill and Be Killed|
|Video / Live album by Derek Webb|
|Released||October 11, 2005|
|Recorded||Rocketown, Nashville, TN
November 9, 2004
Contemporary Christian music
|Length||84 minutes (plus Special Features)|
|The Phantom Tollbooth|||
|Beyond the Turntable|||
How to Kill and Be Killed (2005) is a live concert DVD from singer-songwriter Derek Webb. The full-band show was recorded at the Nashville performance space Rocketown, at the release party for his second solo studio album, I See Things Upside Down.
The title, "How to Kill and Be Killed," comes from a line in Webb's song "Lover Part 2":
"though I’m cornered by the words I say / You’re telling me to speak / You teach me how to kill and be killed / And how You set me free"
Webb remarked on the theme and meaning behind the phrase, "I've found that often success looks more like failure, riches more like poverty and real life often feels more like death. The Christian life is very literally the process by which we are killed."
The Special Features on the DVD include a photo gallery of the concert, and an extended multi-part interview with Webb. Much of what he says foreshadows the message of his follow-up album, 2005's Mockingbird, addressing topics such as politics and religion, the nature of Christian art, and the role the artist plays in society.
|1.||"I Want A Broken Heart"||Derek Webb||5:26|
|3.||"Saint And Sinner"||Webb||4:28|
|8.||"Can't Lose You"||Webb||5:19|
|9.||"Blood Of The Lamb"||Woody Guthrie||4:00|
|10.||"Not The Land"||Webb||5:21|
|11.||"Ballad In Plain Red"||Webb||4:54|
|13.||"Nothing Is Ever Enough"||Webb||5:02|
|14.||"Lover Part 2"||Webb||5:48|
|17.||"Awake My Soul"||Sandra McCracken||5:17|
- Derek Webb – lead vocals, acoustic and electric guitars
- Cason Cooley – vocals, piano, keyboards, guitar, philosophy and theology
- Mark Polack – bass guitar
- Will Sayles – drums and percussion
- Paul Moak – electric guitar, slide guitar, EBow, pedal steel guitar, keyboards, Hammond organ, vibraphone, programming
- Baugh, John (May 15, 2006). "Review: How to Kill and Be Killed - Derek Webb". Cross Rhythms. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- Bertou, Shane (October 18, 2005). "How to Kill and Be Killed". oldschool.joshway.com. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- Dalton, Michael (October 23, 2005). "Derek Webb - a Review of "How to Kill and Be Killed"". The Phantom Tollbooth. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- Brandt, Randy (October 23, 2005). "Derek Webb - How to Kill and Be Killed (DVD)". The Phantom Tollbooth. Retrieved August 2, 2013.