Photograph of Abbott from "Notable Men of the West" (1902)
February 11, 1867|
October 5, 1939 (aged 72)|
|Alma mater||University of Minnesota, University of Michigan|
|Known for||Football player/Judge|
Howard T. Abbott (February 11, 1867 – October 5, 1939) was an American football player, lawyer and judge. He played college football and was the starting quarterback for both the University of Minnesota in 1886 and the University of Michigan in 1889. He was also the captain of the first Minnesota Golden Gophers football team in 1886. He was a lawyer in Duluth, Minnesota, starting in 1891 and later became a judge.
Abbott was born in Washington, D.C. in 1867, the son of Asa T. and Fannie B. (Cross) Abbott. Starting at age eight, Abbott attended Army schools, as his father was serving in the military. In 1879, he moved with his family to Minneapolis, Minnesota, where he attended public schools.
University of Minnesota
In 1886, Abbott enrolled at the University of Minnesota where he studied for three years. While he was a student at Minnesota, he was the captain and quarterback of the first Minnesota Golden Gophers football team in 1886.
University of Michigan
In 1889, Abbott enrolled at the University of Michigan as a law student. While studying law, he was the starting quarterback for the 1889 Michigan Wolverines football team. The 1889 team led by Abbott finished with a 1–2 record and was outscored 76–0 by Cornell and the Chicago University Club. He was also a reserve quarterback on the 1890 team.
Legal career and family
After receiving a Bachelor of Laws degree in 1890, Abbott moved to Duluth, Minnesota, where he began practicing law in 1891. In November 1895, he married Gertrude P. Markell, and they had two children. He was a member of the firm of Abbott, McPherran, Lewis and Gilbert. He later served as a judge. In 1935, Judge Abbott was honored as a pioneer of Gopher sports in a reunion held at the Minnesota Union on the 50th anniversary of the first football team.
- Dwight Edwards Woodbridge, John Stone Pardee (1910). History of Duluth and St. Louis County, Past and Present, Volume 2. C. F. Cooper & Company. p. 777.
- "Football at Minnesota: The story of thirty years' contests on the gridiron". Minnesota Alumni Weekly. November 9, 1914. p. 21.
- "1889 Football Team". University of Michigan, Bentley Historical Library. Retrieved November 24, 2010.
- "1890 Football Roster". University of Michigan, Bentley Historical Library. Archived from the original on September 1, 2010. Retrieved November 24, 2010.
- "Football at Minnesota: The story of thirty years' contests on the gridiron". Minnesota Alumni Weekly. November 9, 1914. p. 147.
- "First Gopher Grid Captain to Visit 'U': Judge Howard Abbott, Member of Class of 1885, Will Attend Alumni Day Exercises, June 17". The Evening Tribune, Albert Lea, Minn. June 14, 1935.
- "Duluth Attorney Dies". The Bismarck (N.D.) Tribune. October 6, 1939.
- IN RE ESTATE OF HOWARD T. ABBOTT v. H. A. DANCER Archived 2011-07-11 at the Wayback Machine., Minnesota Supreme Court, November 20, 1942.