Howard in 2018
|Born||30 April 1954|
|Education||Trinity College of Music|
|Awards||Handel Music Prize|
Howard Arman (born 30 April 1954, in London) is an English choral conductor and opera director. He won the Handel Music Prize of the Handel Festival, Halle, in 1996, shaped the festival's orchestra and conducted operas of George Frideric Handel. He is a conductor of the Theater and Philharmonie Thüringen, also the Luzerner Theater. Since 2017 he is the Director of the Bayerische Rundfunk Chor.
Arman has conducted (among others) the radio choirs of the Norddeutscher Rundfunk, the Südwestrundfunk, the Österreichischer Rundfunk and the RIAS Kammerchor. From 1983 to 2000 he was the leader of the Salzburger Bach-Chor and since 1998 he has been director and artistic leader of the MDR Rundfunkchor, the choir of the Mitteldeutscher Rundfunk (MDR). He is general music director of Theater and Philharmonie Thüringen for the 2010/2011 season and musical director of the Luzerner Theater for three years from the 2011/12 season onwards. Since 2010/11 he has been the musical leader of the Luzerner Sinfonieorchester (LSO), with James Gaffigan as the LSO's conductor.
In 1984 he prepared the Tölzer Knabenchor for a recording of Bach's Mass in B minor with Andrew Parrott and the Taverner Consort and Players Starting in 1993 he shaped the Händel-Festspielorchester, the orchestra of the Handel Festival, on period instruments, which earned him the Festival's Handel Prize of 1996. He conducted Handel's opera Tolomeo in 1996 at the festival, probably the first production and recording of the work with period instruments. In 2000 he recorded Rachmaninoff's All-Night Vigil with the MDR-Rundfunkchor. In 2005 Arman conducted Purcell's Dido and Aeneas at the Luzerner Theater. In 2006 Arman conducted Handel's opera Admeto at the Handel Festival, directed by Axel Köhler and recorded. In 2009 he recorded in the Marktkirche in Halle, the church where Handel was baptized, the opening concert of the Handel Special Day, a collaboration of 40 broadcasters. Four choirs and two orchestras reconstructed a memorial concert, held for the composer in 1784 in Westminster Abbey, including Zadok the Priest (one of Handel's Coronation Anthems). In 2010 Arman conducted Mozart's Le nozze di Figaro at the Luzerner Theater, directed by David Herrmann. Arman recorded Heinrich Ignaz Franz Biber's Marienvesper 1693 (Vesperae longiores ac breviores (1693), a setting of the Vespers), with the Salzburger Bach-Chor.
- Howard Arman (Conductor) bach-cantatas.com
- Chordirektor Howard Arman MDR ‹See Tfd›(in German)
- Howard Arman wird neuer Generalmusikdirektor von Theater&Philharmonie Thüringen Neue Musik Zeitung (trade paper), 29 March 2009 ‹See Tfd›(in German)
- MDR-Chordirektor Howard Arman ab 2010/11 auch Musikdirektor am Luzerner Theater Neue Musik Zeitung, 16 April 2010 ‹See Tfd›(in German)
- Händel-Festspielorchester Halle (Saale)
- Winners of the Handel Music Prize
- Händel-Festspiele in Halle 1996 6. - 11. Juni Festspielkritik Online Musik Magazin ‹See Tfd›(in German)
- Tolomeo Archived 23 November 2010 at the Wayback Machine gfhandel.org
- Dido and Aeneas Bernhard Landauer
- "Handel, G.F.: Admeto (Handel-Festival Halle, 2006)". Naxos. 2009. Retrieved 31 January 2011.
- Handel Special Day: Ganz Europa jubelt Händel zu salikus.de ‹See Tfd›(in German)
- »Das ist unser aller Ziel als Musiker: Musik zu vergegenwärtigen Interview, Gewandhaus ‹See Tfd›(in German)
- Le nozze di Figaro Luzerner Theater ‹See Tfd›(in German)
- Heinrich Ignaz Franz Biber – Marienvesper 1693 www.allaboutjazz.com
- Howard Arman website