Howard Bison and Lady Bison
ASUN (women's lacrosse)
Sun Belt (men's soccer)
SWAC (women's soccer)
CCSA (m&w swimming)
|NCAA||Division I FCS|
|Athletic director||Shelley Davis (Interim)|
|Football stadium||William H. Greene Stadium|
|Basketball arena||Burr Gymnasium|
|Colors||Navy Blue and White
The Howard Bison are the intercollegiate athletic teams representing Howard University in Washington, DC. The Bison compete in the NCAA's Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) and are members of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference for most sports. On July 16, 2015, the Athletics Department unveiled new logos.
Howard University sponsors teams in eight men's and eleven women's NCAA sanctioned sports:
Men's Intercollegiate Sports
Women's Intercollegiate Sports
- # = Through the 2013 season, the men's and women's soccer competed as independents. In 2014, the women's team will join the Southwestern Athletic Conference, while the men's team will join the Sun Belt Conference.
- † = The lacrosse team competes in the Atlantic Sun Conference. Howard is the first and only HBCU with a Division I women's lacrosse team.
- * = The men's and women's swimming teams compete as members of the Coastal Collegiate Sports Association.
The Howard Bison began competing in 1974. The Howard Bison have won 4 regular season conference championships, 3 conference tournament championships, and have appeared in 2 NCAA tournaments (1981 & 1992).
As the only team in the MEAC playing men's soccer, the Bison's men's soccer team competed as an independent for many years, but the Bison became an affiliate member of the Sun Belt Conference when the conference resumed men's soccer after a 20-year absence in 2014. Over they years, Howard has had an up and down history, with NCAA championship seasons and other years seeing little success; the 2013 team had only one win in eighteen games.
Bison teams qualified for the NCAA tournament in 1962, 1963, 1970†, 1971†, 1972, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1980, 1988, 1989, and 1997. In six College Cup appearances, they were NCAA Champions in 1974, runners-up in 1988, third in 1972, and fourth in 1975; additional first (1971) and third (1971) place finishes were vacated by the NCAA.
The women's soccer team joined the Southwestern Athletic Conference in 2014 and won the regular season & tournament titles in its first year. As a first-year member of the conference, Howard was not allowed to accept the SWAC's automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament (runner up Prairie View A&M went instead).
Howard's marching band is known as the "Showtime Marching Band" and its featured auxiliary is the "Ooh La La!" dance team. The band has performed at several NFL games, the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, the Honda Battle of the Bands, and the 56th Inaugural Parade for President Barack Obama. The marching band's mission is to serve as a university ambassador and Bison athletics supporter.
Division I National Championships
Men's Soccer – 1974
- Howard Bison New Visual Identity Guide (PDF). 2015-07-16. Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- "The Official Website of NCAA Championships". Ncaa.com. Retrieved 2015-07-10.
- "The Official Site of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference". MEACsports.com. Retrieved 2015-07-10.
- "Howard University Bison - Howard Unveils New Athletics Logo". Hubison.com. 2015-07-16. Retrieved 2015-10-04.
- "Howard University Bison". Howard-bison.com. Retrieved 2015-07-10.
- "Howard University Bison". Hubison.com. Retrieved 2015-07-10.
- "2012 Men's Soccer Championship Records" (PDF). NCAA.org. Retrieved 2015-10-04.
- "DI Men's Soccer". NCAA.com.