This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Howard Buten (born 1950, Detroit, Michigan) is an American author living in France. He is also a psychologist, a clown, and a violin player. He is the author of five novels, the first of which, entitled When I Was Five I Killed Myself, was published in 1981 and turned into a film under its French title Quand j'avais cinq ans je m'ai tué in 1994.
As a young man Howard Buten encountered a child with autism and this sparked a lifelong interest in the disorder. He has worked on autism as a researcher, clinical psychologist, therapist, and founder of a clinic for the autistic in Paris, France.
He is also a theatrical clown (graduate of Ringling Bros) with the stage name Buffo, who is quite well known in France. He got his start in acting at a very young age, re-enacting scenes from his favorite stories, along with his childhood friends/neighbors.
Buten's first and best known novel, When I Was Five I Killed Myself, is largely unknown in his home country, but has sold more than a million copies in France. He was made Chevalier of the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres, a prominent literary honor, in 1991.
- When I Was Five I Killed Myself (also published under the title Burt) (1981)
- Le Cœur sous le rouleau compresseur (1984)
- Il faudra bien te couvrir... (1989)
- C'était mieux avant (1994)
- Quand est-ce qu'on arrive? (2002)
- Ces enfants qui ne viennent pas d'une autre planète (2002)
- Histoire de Rofo, clown (2002)
- Through the Glass Wall: Journeys Into the Closed-Off Worlds of the Autistic (Bantam, 2004)
- I understand that if not completely satisfied i will be ....
- Il y a quelqu'un là-dedans
- Mister Butterfly
- Buffo par Buten
- Through the Glass Wall
- Buffo, Buten & Howard, documentary 2009, Swissfilms, at artfilm.ch
- Buffo Buten
- Howard Buten on Internet Movie Database
- Reseña del libro Cuando yo tenía cinco años, me maté de Howard Buten (en español)
|This article about a novelist of the United States born in the 1950s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|