Howard County Sheriff's Office (Maryland)
|Howard County Sheriff's Office|
Howard County Sheriff's Office patch
|Operations jurisdiction||Maryland, USA|
|Map of Howard County Sheriff's Office's jurisdiction.|
|Size||254 square miles (660 km2)|
|General nature||• Local civilian agency|
|Headquarters||Ellicott City, Maryland|
The Howard County Sheriff's Office (HCSO) is the enforcement arm of the Howard County court system and services the population of Howard County, Maryland.
Anne Arundel County created the Howard District in 1831 from its Western half. Thomas Burgess acted as the Sheriff through the 1840s. In 1851, the Howard District became its own county with a dedicated Sheriff. The HCSO was created in 1851. Former Ellicott City Mayor E.A. Talbot served in 1856, George W. Howard served in 1908; Julius Wolsh Jr. in 1928; George D. Day Jr. in 1930; Norman O. Haward in 1962; Donald Edward Ansell in 1972.
The current sheriff of the HCSO is William McMahon. The HCSO is divided into six sections:
- Domestic Violence Enforcement
- Courthouse Security
- Patrol Operations
Sheriffs of Howard County, Maryland
|Charles G. Halsup||1848|
|David P. Hopkins||1864|
|David P. Hopkins||1865|
|William A. Webb||1867|
|John S. Tracy||1871|
|G. Washington Carr||1875|
|Edward A. Talbott||1881|
|George D. Day||1887|
|Steven R. Hobbs||1889|
|William G. Owings||1891|
|Gilbert E. Flower||1893|
|Greenbury Johnson - Frank Oldfield||1895|
|Charles D. Pickett||1897|
|Lewis E. Philps||1899|
|James E. Hobbs||1901|
|John F. Kyrne||1903|
- "Simpsonville Mill Survey" (PDF). Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- Howard County Sheriff's Office website.
- Maryland. General Assembly. Senate. Journal of the Proceedings of the Senate of the State of Maryland. p. 556.
- "100 GO DOWN IN CRASH AT ELLICOTT CITY: Spectators At Trial Dumped In Mass By Collapse Of Floor THIRTY-SEVEN ARE BADLY INJURED Crowd Attracted By Rumor Of Plot To Lynch Negro Charged With Assaulting And Robbing Farmer--Victims Brought To Baltimore Hospitals FEW ESCAPE UNHURT Easton's Hall Packed With People When Accident Occurs". The Baltimore Sun. 30 December 1908.
- "Farmer Routs Fireman, Persihes Among Flames". The Washington Post. 12 April 1928.
- "Howard County's Salaries". The Baltimore Sun. 14 January 1933.
- "Republican Has Early Lead in Race For State Senate in Anne Arundel: GOP Wins 3 Races In Calvert County St. Marys Democrats Overwhelming Victors Charles County Board Control Goes to GOP GOP Board Elected In Howard County". The Washington Post. 7 November 1962.
- "County Man Shackled, Jailed in $5 Ticket Case: Police in Counties Shackle, Jail Man in $5 Ticket Case". The Washington Post. 14 January 1972.
- Howard County Sheriff's Office Operational Duties.
- Joshua Dorsey Warfield. The founders of Anne Arundel and Howard Counties, Maryland. p. 538.
- "Court Proceedings". The Ellicott City Times. 24 March 1877.
|This United States law enforcement agency article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Maryland-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|