Howard Graham (Canadian Army officer)
Osgoode Hall Law School photo, 1921
|Born||15 July 1898|
Buffalo, New York
|Died||28 September 1986 (aged 88)|
|Years of service||1916–58|
|Commands held||Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment|
1st Infantry Brigade
Chief of the General Staff
|Battles/wars||World War I|
World War II
|Awards||Order of Canada|
Commander of the Royal Victorian Order
Commander of the Order of the British Empire
Distinguished Service Order
Canadian Efficiency Decoration
Canadian Forces Decoration
Born in Buffalo, New York, he was raised on a farm in Trenton, Ontario. He was called to the Ontario bar in 1922 and practised law for 17 years in Trenton. During World War I he served with the Canadian Infantry in France, Germany and Belgium.
World War II and beyond
During World War II he served in Britain, France, Sicily and Italy. From 1946 to 1948 he was the Senior Canadian Army Liaison Officer and Army Advisor to the Canadian High Commissioner in London. From 1948 to 1950 he was Vice Chief of General Staff of the Canadian Army. From 1951 to 1955 he was the General Officer Commanding Central Command in Canada. From 1955 to 1958 he was the Chief of the General Staff of the Canadian Army. After retiring in 1958, he was Canadian Secretary to the Queen for the Royal Tour of Canada in 1959 and 1967. From 1961 to 1966, he was president of the Toronto Stock Exchange.
In 1987, his autobiography, Citizen and Soldier: The Memoirs of Lieutenant-General Howard Graham, was published.
- Commander of the Order of the British Empire
- Distinguished Service Order (twice)
- Officer of the Legion of Honour
- Croix de Guerre
- Officer of the Legion of Merit of the United States
- In 1967, he was made an Officer of the Order of Canada.
- Buckner, Phillip (2005), "The Last Great Royal Tour: Queen Elizabeth's 1959 Tour to Canada", in Buckner, Phillip (ed.), Canada and the End of Empire, Vancouver: UBC Press, p. 76, ISBN 0-7748-0915-9, retrieved 24 October 2009
- "Lt.-Gen. Howard D. Graham Distinguished soldier also business leader, stock exchange head". The Globe and Mail. September 29, 1986.
- Citizen and soldier: The memoirs of Lieutenant-General Howard Graham by Howard Graham McClelland and Stewart, 1987, ISBN 978-0-7710-3390-2
- Order of Canada Citation
- Hillmer, Norman; Johnston, William (16 December 2013). "Howard Graham". The Canadian Encyclopedia (online ed.). Historica Canada.
Guy Granville Simonds
| Chief of the General Staff
September 2, 1955–1958
Samuel Findlay Clark