Howard High School (Howard County, Maryland)
|Howard High School|
|8700 Old Annapolis Road
Ellicott City, Maryland 21043
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||Excellence in Teaching and Learning|
|School district||Howard County Public School System|
|Superintendent||Dr. Michael Martirano|
|Enrollment||1,772 (2015-2016 school year)|
|Rival||Long Reach High School|
Howard High School was opened in 1952.
In 1938, Howard County used WPA money and bus contracts to consolidate and close many one-room schoolhouses into several central schools. Most of the county saw little school construction until after World War II. The school board recommended a single central high school for all white students in the entire county. By 1949, a state bond bill seemed imminent, and plans were refined for a central high school serving the first, second and sixth county districts. A site was picked at the family farm of General Charles D. Gaither, whose grandfather, George R. Gaither, once raised cavalry for J. E. B. Stuart onsite. Bids were opened on 26 April 1951 with prices ranging from $838,000 to $683,000. Four additional rooms were ordered in 1952 for an additional $30,000 in expenses. 12 additional acres were purchased from the Gaither family for $5,000, with board member Charles E. Miller contributing $2,500 for the land and demolition of the "colored house and corn crib" on the property.
Five names were considered for the school: John Eager Howard High School, Charles Carroll of Carrollton High School, General Gaither High School, Edwin Warfield High School, and Howard County High School. The school opened as "Howard County Senior High School" in 1952. In 1954, Marie T. Gaither offered 42 acres of adjoining land for $15,000 to expand the school grounds, which was declined by the school board.
A highlight commencement was once attended by Supreme Court Justice, Tom C. Clark who arrived by helicopter. The population is both culturally and economically diverse with over three quarters of the graduates enrolling in post-secondary institutions.
The reported demographics of the school as of the 2015-2016 academic school year:
At the opening of the 2006-2007 school year, Howard completed its renovations, which included a brand new cafeteria attached to an atrium, two new wings on opposite ends on the school, an auxiliary gym (in which the previous cafeteria was positioned), and a new track around the football field. The renovation also provided the Art and Science Department with a new state-of-the-art Darkroom and several brand new laboratories. At the end of the same school year, Howard placed a brand new copper statue of a lion overlooking the Stadium Field.
Howard High School has won the following state championships & athletic accomplishments:
- 2015 - Boys' Chess
- 2015 - Boys' Lacrosse
- 2007 - Girls' Cross Country
- 2007 - Boys' Track & Field 
- 2006 - Boys' Track & Field
- 2006 - Girls' Cross County 
- 1995 - Girls' Track & Field 
- 1994 - Girls' Basketball 
- 1992 - Girls' Track & Field
- 1989 - Boys' Soccer 
- 1989 - Boys' Indoor Track 2A-1A
- 1985 - Boys' Indoor Track BC
- 1985 - Boys' Track & Field
- 1984 - Boys' Indoor Track BC
- 1980 - Girls' Volleyball 
- 1974 - Football 
References and notes
- "Howard High School PROFILE 2017-18" (PDF). hcpss.org. HCPSS. Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- "1949 Board Minutes" (PDF). Retrieved 6 June 2013.
- Seeking Freedom The History of the Underground Railroad in Howard County. p. 87.
- Maryland State Bar Association. Report of the Annual Meeting, Volume 27, Part 1922. p. 69.
- "1951 School Board Minutes" (PDF). Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- "1952 Board minutes" (PDF). Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- "1953 Board Minutes" (PDF). Retrieved 22 June 2013.
- "High School Celebrates Half-Century Of History; Alumni Recall When Howard Was New". The Washington Post. 14 November 2002.
- Maryland State Department of Education
- MPSSAA Boys Track & Field Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- MPSSAA Girls Cross Country Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- MPSAA Girls Track & Field Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- MPSSAA Girls Basketball Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- MPSSAA Boys Soccer Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- MPSSAA Boys Indoor Track Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- MPSSAA Girls Volleyball Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- MPSSAA Fall Record Book Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- Case, Wesley (December 30, 2016). "Serena Williams and Columbia native Alexis Ohanian, Reddit co-founder, are engaged". Baltimore Sun. Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- "Patch Interview: Michael Chabon on Columbia". Columbia, MD Patch. 2012-10-25. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Howard High School.|