Howard Springs, Northern Territory
Darwin, Northern Territory
|Population||5,132 (2016 census)|
|• Density||65.309/km2 (169.150/sq mi)|
|Area||78.58 km2 (30.3 sq mi)|
Howard Springs is a locality in the Northern Territory of Australia. It is 29 kilometres (18 mi) SE of the Darwin CBD. Its local government area is the Litchfield Municipality. The suburb is mostly a rural area, but has been experiencing strong growth in population and development. From 2020, it has housed a major quarantine facility.
European settlement of the area began in 1864. The stream which commenced with a spring was named for Frederick Howard in 1865 by the survey party of B. T. Finniss. Howard was the captain of a schooner and a hydrographer.
Although first examined in 1921, Howard Springs in 1939 became the first major water supply area to service Darwin, at one time also known as Worgan Springs. Discharge was calculated to be 1.9 million imperial gallons (8.6 Ml) every twenty-four hours. Later Manton Dam supplied water to Darwin with the onset of World War 2, but now most of Darwin's water supply comes from Darwin River Dam.
The suburb is mostly a rural area, but has been experiencing strong growth in population and development. A primary school was erected in 1974.
An accommodation facility named Manigurr-ma Village was built at Howard Springs in 2012 by Japanese energy company Inpex to accommodate up to 3500 temporary fly-in fly-out construction workers on the Ichthys LNG gas plant. The facility was closed and abandoned in 2018.
From early 2020, the abandoned accommodation facility became a quarantine facility for people returning to Australia from areas infected with COVID-19, initially on 9 February 2020 from Wuhan. The facility was run by the Australian Medical Assistance Team (AUSMAT). From later in 2020, the facility was a quarantine facility for people arriving from Victoria during the second lockdown of that state.
From late October 2020, the facility was used for repatriating Australians from Europe and India. From May 2021 the Northern Territory Government began to gradually take over all operations from AUSMAT.
- "Place Names Register Extract for Howard Springs (locality)". NT Place Names Register. Northern Territory Government. Retrieved 13 May 2019.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Howard Springs (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Howard Springs". NT Atlas and Spatial Data Directory. Northern Territory Government. Retrieved 8 May 2019.
- "Litchfield Municipality Localities" (PDF). Place Names Committee. Northern Territory Government. Retrieved 8 May 2019.
- "Darwin's waste water". Northern Standard (79). Northern Territory, Australia. 11 August 1921. p. 3. Retrieved 17 May 2021 – via National Library of Australia.
- "Darwin Water Supply". Northern Standard (84). Northern Territory, Australia. 20 October 1939. p. 6. Retrieved 17 May 2021 – via National Library of Australia.
- "Darwin water supply". www.powerwater.com.au. Power and Water Corporation. 29 March 2019. Retrieved 5 February 2021.
- "Howard Springs uranium find". Northern Standard. 7 (333). Northern Territory, Australia. 7 November 1952. p. 1. Retrieved 17 May 2021 – via National Library of Australia.
- "Tenders invited". Australian Government Gazette. General (70). 27 August 1974. p. 36. Retrieved 17 May 2021 – via National Library of Australia.
- "Ichthys LNG Project completes Manigurr-ma Village". www.inpex.com.au. INPEX Corporation. 29 July 2014. Retrieved 13 July 2021.
The INPEX-operated Ichthys LNG Project today announced the completion of its Accommodation Village at Howard Springs ... Named Manigurr-ma Village after the Larrakia name for the Stringybark tree, the village will provide a home for up to 3,500 Project personnel during peak construction ...
- Truu, Maani (9 February 2020). "Inside the NT facilities where coronavirus evacuees are being quarantined". SBS News. Retrieved 15 January 2021.
- "AUSMAT Howard Springs Quarantine Facility". National Critical Care and Trauma Response Centre. Australian Department of Health. Retrieved 6 May 2021.
- "Why NT quarantine tops Melbourne's hotel disaster".
- Hitch, Georgia (16 October 2020). "How do I get tickets on the new flights to Darwin? How much will they cost? Will I have to do coronavirus quarantine?". ABC. AUSMAT. Retrieved 6 May 2021.
- Vivian, Steve (4 May 2021). "Commonwealth begins handover of Howard Springs quarantine facility to NT government". Australian Broadcasting Commission. AUSMAT. Retrieved 6 May 2021.