Howards Grove, Wisconsin
Howards Grove, Wisconsin
Location of Howards Grove in Sheboygan County, Wisconsin.
|• Total||2.25 sq mi (5.83 km2)|
|• Land||2.23 sq mi (5.76 km2)|
|• Water||0.03 sq mi (0.07 km2)|
|Elevation||712 ft (217 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1,467.42/sq mi (566.57/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1566769|
The village was named after H. B. Howard, a hotelier and postmaster. Howards Grove began as two unincorporated communities: Millersville and Howards Grove. They united as one village in 1967. In the year 1846, the first immigrants started to make an appearance and settled in the surrounding wilderness which was named the town of Herman. Sheboygan, which was ten miles from where they had settled, was their main source of supplies. The main occupation of this area since the 1840s has been farming. The farming community had always had a focus on growing oats and wheat but as early as November 29, 1899, the Sheboygan Telegram noted that there had been a change in operation. The focus was changed to dairy farming. Today, farming still rules the community.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 2.34 square miles (6.06 km2), of which, 2.31 square miles (5.98 km2) of it is land and 0.03 square miles (0.08 km2) is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of 2000 the median income for a household in the village was $59,032, and the median income for a family was $65,243. Males had a median income of $42,444 versus $26,719 for females. The per capita income for the village was $21,913. About 2.1% of families and 2.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.2% of those under age 18 and 12.3% of those age 65 or over.
As of the census of 2010, there were 3,188 people, 1,245 households, and 942 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,380.1 inhabitants per square mile (532.9/km2). There were 1,276 housing units at an average density of 552.4 per square mile (213.3/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 98.3% White, 0.4% African American, 0.1% Native American, 0.6% Asian, 0.2% from other races, and 0.5% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.9% of the population.
There were 1,245 households of which 34.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.0% were married couples living together, 5.8% had a female householder with no husband present, 3.9% had a male householder with no wife present, and 24.3% were non-families. 19.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.56 and the average family size was 2.94.
The median age in the village was 41.2 years. 25.3% of residents were under the age of 18; 6% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 24.7% were from 25 to 44; 32.2% were from 45 to 64; and 12% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the village was 50.5% male and 49.5% female.
The Howards Grove School District serves students in grades K-12. The district includes all of the Village of Howards Grove, the Town of Herman, half of the Town of Mosel, and parts of the Towns of Rhine, Sheboygan Falls, and Meeme. The district's three schools are all located in Howards Grove: one elementary school, one middle school, and one high school. Approximately 130 staff serve the almost 1,000 students in the three schools. The district has an open enrollment policy where students outside the district can choose to attend a Howards Grove school without paying tuition.
Northview Elementary School and Howards Grove Middle School are located on the north end of the village. Howards Grove High School is located in the mid-east part of town. At the beginning of the 2009-2010 school year,the high school had its gymnasium re-done after a rain storm ruined the floors. The school has a track and football complex outside the school. There are also tennis courts, baseball and softball fields, a soccer field, and a football practice field on the school grounds.
- Henry Bodenstab, attorney and Wisconsin State Senator, born here
- Julius Bodenstab, member of the Wisconsin State Assembly, father of Henry
- Curt W. Janke, member of the Wisconsin State Assembly, born here
- August Meyers, members of the Wisconsin State Assembly, lived here
- Otto C. Neumeister, member of the Wisconsin State Assembly, born here
- "2017 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Mar 28, 2019.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved March 24, 2018.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile for Howards Grove, Wisconsin". ePodunk. Retrieved 2010-06-20.
- Koppelmann, Elmer (2002). Howards Grove, Wisconsin. Sheboygan County Historical Research Center, Inc.
- History of Howards Grove
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 7, 2017.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on April 26, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "About the District". Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- "Athletics". Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- "St. Paul's Lutheran School".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Howards Grove, Wisconsin.|