|Traded as||LSE: HWDN|
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|Richard Pennycock, (Chairman)|
Andrew Livingston, (CEO)
|Products||Kitchens and joinery|
|Revenue||£1,511.3 million (2018)|
|£240.1 million (2018)|
|£190.4 million (2018)|
Howden Joinery Group plc is the parent company for the Howdens Joinery business (Howdens), a supplier of kitchens and joinery products to the building trade. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange, and is a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index.
Howdens was established in 1995, as a business unit within MFI Furniture Group plc (MFI). In October 2006, MFI sold its loss making MFI retail business to Merchant Equity Partners for £1, while retaining Howdens. At the same time, the name of MFI was changed to Galiform plc.
In November 2008, the MFI retail business entered administration, Galiform becoming liable for the costs associated with 46 MFI stores. An exceptional charge of £99.7m was incurred in 2008 to cover these costs. At this stage, Galiform was liable for the costs of over 80 properties previously used by MFI (the legacy properties).
By December 2012, the legacy properties had been reduced by over 80%, mainly due to landlords agreeing to the early termination of the associated leases in return for a one off payment. In September 2010, Galiform changed its name to Howden Joinery Group plc.
Howdens' kitchens are manufactured at plants in Runcorn and Howden. The company has some 668 depots in the United Kingdom and some 24 depots in Europe where its trading names include "Houdan Cuisines" and "Lamona Cuisines".
- "Andrew Livingston to join Howdens as CEO Designate". FT.com. 12 January 2018. Retrieved 18 April 2018.
- "Preliminary Results 2018" (PDF). Howdens Joinery. Retrieved 18 March 2019.
- "Onwards and upwards". TTJ. 10 December 2012. Retrieved 24 March 2013.
- MFI sells store chain in £1 deal BBC News, 22 September 2006
- Treanor, Jill (September 23, 2006). "MFI sold for £1 and repackaged as Galiform". London: The Guardian. Retrieved May 3, 2010.
- "Joinery group Galiform and plumbing supplier Wolseley hit by fallout from building sector". The Guardian. 6 March 2009. Retrieved 22 May 2013.
- "2011 Preliminary Results" (PDF). Retrieved 22 May 2013.
- Sturdy trading at Howden Investors Chronicle, 4 March 2011
- "Is life as good as it gets for Howdens?". Investors Chronicle. 2 November 2018. Retrieved 18 March 2019.