|Full name||Howard Kevin Tamati|
Howard Kevin Tamati MBE, generally known as Howie Tamati, is a New Zealand politician and former professional rugby league footballer and coach who played for New Zealand. He is the cousin of fellow international Kevin Tamati.
Tamati played for the Waitara Bears and represented Taranaki locally before selected for the Kiwis in 1979. Tamati played a total of 50 games for the Kiwis, including 24 tests for them between 1979 and 1985.
Tamati served three terms as a New Plymouth District Councillor from 1999 to 2007. He was re-elected as a councillor in October 2010. He is the former chairman of Te Ihi Tu Maori Prisoner Habilitation Centre in New Plymouth.
Tamati is the cousin of Kevin Tamati. He is of Te Atiawa, Ngāti Mutunga and Ngai Tahu heritage. Tamati and Joanne Smith had children Ebony, Erina, James. He is married to Aroaro and had four children: Moerangi Te Wai, Hawaiki and Erana. Tamati has five grandchildren, Takarangi, Rihari, Jahnikka Hine-maire, Rongomai and Rangiwahia Sampson.
Honours and awards
- "Statistics at rugbyleagueproject.org". rugbyleagueproject.org. 31 December 2017. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Coach Statistics at rugbyleagueproject.org". rugbyleagueproject.org. 31 December 2017. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- Tamati, Howard Kevin 1979 – 85 – Kiwi #550 Archived 24 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine nzleague.co.nz
- Dave Hadfield Tamati depends on home produce for Kiwis' fruition The Independent, 9 October 1993
- John Coffey, Bernie Wood (2008). 100 Years: Maori Rugby League, 1908–2008. Huia Publishers. p. 238. ISBN 9781869693312. Retrieved 30 November 2009.CS1 maint: Uses authors parameter (link)
- Rockets shoot down North Harbour[dead link] Sunday Star-Times, 10 March 1996
- Tamati to coach Fijian side[dead link] Daily News, 16 September 1997
- Top job for Tamati New Zealand Herald, 10 February 2007
- Injured Warriors duo keep Kearney on edge NZPA, 27 April 2010
- Yarrow Stadium To Go All Gold For League Voxy.co.nz, 20 August 2008
- Sporting Trio in Latest Wing of Graduating 'Cops' New Zealand Police, 28 November 2007
- Brenton Vannisseroy Maori sides ‘not racist’ Archived 20 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine Te Waha Nui, 1 September 2006
- Staff List Archived 24 May 2010 at the Wayback Machine Sport Taranaki
- Role at NZRL step in right direction – Tamati New Zealand Herald, 1 July 2013
- Council says 'no' to handing over domain ownership to Ngati Mutunga The Daily News, 4 August 2004
- "Tamati aiming to be MP". Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- London Gazette (supplement), No. 53528, 30 December 1993. Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- "Dream team of century is named". Taranaki Daily News. 14 October 2008. Retrieved 24 September 2011.
New Zealand national rugby league team