|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|First appearance||Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos #1 (March 1964)|
|Created by||Stan Lee
- 1 Fictional team history
- 2 Other versions
- 3 In other media
- 4 See also
- 5 References
Fictional team history
World War II
- Sergeant Nicholas Joseph "Nick" Fury
- Corporal Timothy Aloysius Cadwallader "Dum Dum" Dugan
- Private Isadore "Izzy" Cohen
- Private Gabriel Jones
- Private Dino Manelli
- Private Robert "Rebel" Ralston
- Private Jonathan "Junior" Juniper
- Private Percival "Pinky" Pinkerton: A British soldier, in issue #8.
- Private Eric Koenig: A defector from Nazi Germany. He joined the squad in issue #27.
Occasional other members would join for an issue or two before being killed, transferred, or otherwise leaving (such as Fred Jones in issue #81). Also daringly for the time, the series killed Fury's girlfriend, British nurse Pamela Hawley, introduced in issue #4 and killed in a London air raid in #18.
Nick Fury's Howling Commandos
- Clay Quartermain: The commanding officer of Area 13. He takes over in the first issue from Dum Dum Dugan.
- Warwolf (real name Vince Marcus): The field leader. He is a werewolf who can transform voluntarily whenever Mars is in the night sky.
- Nina Price, Vampire by Night: Half-vampire and half-werewolf.
- N'Kantu, the Living Mummy: A previously existing character. N'Kantu is an undead prince of Ancient Egypt.
- Frankenstein: An intelligent clone of the original Frankenstein's Monster. How this process did not produce different clones of the various individual body parts making up the original monster was briefly mentioned in issue #1. The response was "Don't go there".
- Gorilla-Man I: A previously existing character. Kenneth Hale is a man trapped in a gorilla's body. He is now a member of the Agents of Atlas.
- John Doe: A zombie depicted as having normal human-level intelligence, in contrast to other zombie characters in the Marvel universe.
A third group of "Commandos" are introduced in Mighty Avengers #13. After discovering the Skrull invasion, Nick Fury assembles a team made up of the offspring of various super heroes and villains. This team members are:
- Quake: Former S.H.I.E.L.D. member and daughter of Mister Hyde. She possesses the power to create earthquake like vibrations.
- Phobos: The ten-year-old son of Ares. He possesses the power to cause fear in others by looking in their eyes.
- Druid: The son of Doctor Druid who has inherited some of his father's skill with magic
- Yo Yo: The daughter of the Griffin. She can run at superhuman speed and bounces back to the point where she began running.
- Hellfire: The grandson of the Phantom Rider. He is able to charge a chain with fire to wield as a weapon
- Stonewall: Son of the Absorbing Man. Daisy Johnson bails him out of jail he is imprisoned for hitting a cop. Possesses superhuman strength. Very little so far has been revealed about the character.
In Secret Warriors #4 and #5 as seen during the Dark Reign storyline, it is revealed that 1200 S.H.I.E.L.D. agents refused to join H.A.M.M.E.R. following Norman Osborn's rise to power. Under the leadership of Dum Dum Dugan and Gabe Jones, they became a private military company which is hired by Nick Fury to fight against both HYDRA and H.A.M.M.E.R.
Black Ops version
A new incarnation of the Howling Commandos is ordered to apprehend the Punisher after he relocates to Los Angeles. The black ops version is led by Sidewinder and its members include Ruby Red, Myers, and Buzzkill.
Phil Coulson's Howling Commandos
Howling Commandos of S.H.I.E.L.D
A new team of Howling Commandos under the command of S.T.A.K.E. were part of the All-New All-Different Marvel led by the rebuilt LMD of Dum Dum Dugan and under the supervision of Warwolf. It consists of:
- Jasper Sitwell's zombie form
- Vampire by Night
- Teen Abomination
In Garth Ennis' Fury and Fury: Peacemaker, the Howling Commandos were an OSS special operations unit created by Fury and modeled after the SAS. Most of the unit's lineup were wiped out following D-Day, and only Fury and two other members survived (one of whom is most likely Dum-Dum Dugan, who appears in Fury MAX).
In the Ultimate universe, Howling Commandos were a US Army Ranger unit, escorting an imprisoned Wolverine during the Gulf War. The convoy was attacked by the Iraqi Republican Guard, killing all but Fury. Dum-Dum Dugan appears in the present day, hinting that he was elsewhere at the time.
During the Ultimate X-Men comic, Nick Fury dispatches a special S.H.I.E.L.D. unit to protect the Triskelion from elements of the Academy of Tomorrow, who came to break out one of their own.
A new version of the Howling Commandos appeared in Ultimate Comics: Ultimates #20; S.H.I.E.L.D. Director Monica Chang grants Nick Fury and ex-HYDRA soldier Abigail Brand to take on the growing power of Hydra.
The full team finally makes its debut during the Dark Ultimates' attack on Earth. Besides Nick Fury, Monica Chang and Abigail Brand, the roster consists of Punisher, Falcon, Stature, Dum Dum Dugan, Danny "The Ghost" Ketch, Emil "The Abomination" Blonsky, and Hercules
Mrs. Deadpool and the Howling Commandos
During the Secret Wars storyline, a variation of the Howling Commandos resides in the Battleworld domain of Monster Metropolis which is located beneath the Kingdom of Manhattan. It consists of Frankenstein's Monster, Invisible Man, Man-Thing, Marcus the Centaur, N'Kantu the Living Mummy, and Werewolf by Night.
In other media
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (January 2015)|
- Nick Fury's Howling Commandos appear in the animated TV series Ultimate Spider-Man, in the episodes "Blade" and "The Howling Commandos". In this version, the Howling Commandos consist of Werewolf by Night, N'Kantu, the Living Mummy, Frankenstein's Monster, Man-Thing and The Invisible Man.
- In the animated TV series, Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H., Nick Fury's Howling Commandos appear in the third episode of Season 2 called "Hulking Commandos". The Howling Commandos in this episode consist of Blade, Werewolf by Night, N'Kantu, the Living Mummy, Frankenstein's Monster and Man-Thing.
Marvel Cinematic Universe
- The World War II Howling Commandos are first introduced into the Marvel Cinematic Universe in Captain America: The First Avenger. There they were led by Captain America, who freed the Commandos from a Hydra prisoner camp. Their number includes Bucky Barnes (Sebastian Stan), Dum Dum Dugan (Neal McDonough), Gabe Jones (Derek Luke), Montgomery Falsworth (J. J. Feild), Jim Morita (Kenneth Choi) and Jacques Dernier (Bruno Ricci).
- In Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., the team uses old Howling Commandos' equipment provided by Agent Antoine Triplett who is the grandson of one of the Howling Commandos. Commandos Dugan and Morita also return in a flashback, led by Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell).
- The Howling Commandos appears on Agent Carter in the episode "The Iron Ceiling". Along with Dugan, the other members that appear include Happy Sam Sawyer (Leonard Roberts), Junior Juniper (James Austin Kerr) and Pinky Pinkerton (Richard Short).
- Nathan Edmondson (w), Mitch Gerads (p), Mitch Gerads (i), Mitch Gerads (col), VC's Cory Petit (let), Jake Thomas (ed). "Memento Mori" The Punisher v9, #1 (5 February 2014), United States: Marvel Comics
- S.H.I.E.L.D. Vol. 3 #6
- S.H.I.E.L.D. Vol. 3 #6
- S.H.I.E.L.D. Vol. 3 #6
- S.H.I.E.L.D. Vol. 3 #6
- Ultimate Comics: Ultimates #20
- Ultimate Comics: Ultimates #27
- Mrs. Deadpool and the Howling Commandos #1
- "DEBRIEFING MARVEL'S AGENT CARTER: THE IRON CEILING". Marvel. January 16, 2015.