Banikas in Heraklion, 2007
|Full name||Hristodoulos Banikas|
|Born||20 May 1978|
|FIDE rating||2603 (September 2019)|
|Peak rating||2646 (July 2014)|
Banikas won the 1990 Greek U-12 championship, the 1993 Greek U-16 championship, and the 1996 Greek U-20 championship. He won eight Greek championships from 2000 through 2005 and from 2008 to 2009. Banikas has received the Grandmaster title from FIDE in 2001.
In 2001 he lost a Man vs. Machine match against Deep Junior. In 2002 Banikas won the European Rapid Chess Championship in Panormo, Crete edging Sergei Movsesian on tiebreak score, and the 2nd Balkan Individual Championship in Istanbul.
Banikas played for the Greek national team in every Chess Olympiad since 1996, except 2004, in the 2010 World Team Chess Championship winning an individual silver medal, and in every European Team Chess Championship since 2001 winning an individual silver in 2005.
Banikas is well known for entering into tactical complications. With the black pieces he usually plays the Sicilian Defence against 1.e4. With the white pieces he prefers 1.d4, but occasionally plays 1. Nf3 or 1.c4.
- "Deep Junior gewinnt Match gegen GM Hristos Banikas". ChessBase. (in German)
- Deep junior vs Banikas. chess.gr.
- Crowther, Mark (7 October 2002). "TWIC 413: European Rapid & Blitz Championship". The Week in Chess. Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- Crowther, Mark (2002-12-23). "TWIC 424: 2nd Balkan Individual Chess Championships". The Week in Chess. Retrieved 2 May 2016.
- Hristos Banikas team chess record at OlimpBase.org
- Hristos Banikas chess games at 365Chess.com
- Hristos Banikas player profile and games at Chessgames.com
|This biographical article relating to a Greek chess figure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|