This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Traditional region||Upper Carniola|
|Statistical region||Upper Carniola|
|Elevation||590.7 m (1,938.0 ft)|
Hrušica lies above the left bank of the Sava River below Hrušica Peak (Slovene: Hruški vrh, 1,176 m [3,858 ft]) in the Karawanks to the north, and Mount Kisovec (1,289 m [4,229 ft]) and the Mežakla Plateau to the south. Dobršnik Creek, which has its source below Hrušica Peak, flows through the western part of the settlement. The Hrušica Pasture (Slovene: Hruševska planina or Hruška planina, 1,207 metres [3,960 ft]) and Petelin Pasture (1,400 m [4,600 ft]) lie above Hrušica in the Karawanks.
Hrušica is the site of three mass grave from the period immediately after the Second World War. All of the graves contain the remains of Home Guard prisoners of war that were repatriated from Austria after the war and murdered. Each site contains the remains of an unknown number of victims. The Hrušica No. 56 Mass Grave (Slovene: Grobišče za hišo Hrušica 56) is located behind the house at Huršica no. 56. The Hrušica 1 Mass Grave (Grobišče Hrušica 1) lies 40 metres (130 ft) east of the house at Hrušica no. 83, and the Hrušica 2 Mass Grave (Grobišče Hrušica 1) lies on the slope above it.
Notable people that were born or lived in Hrušica include:
- Anže Kopitar (born 1987), ice hockey player
- Ivan Krivec (a.k.a. Pavle) (1906–1944), Partisan and communist party secretary
- Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia
- Savnik, Roman, ed. 1968. Krajevni leksikon Slovenije, vol. 1. Ljubljana: Državna založba Slovenije. pp. 114–115.
- Dežman, Jože. 2009. Poročilo Komisije vlade Republike Slovenije za reševanje vprašanj prikritih grobišč: 2005-2008. Ljubljana: Družina, p. 1909.
- Hrušica No. 56 Mass Grave on Geopedia (in Slovene)
- Hrušica 1 Mass Grave on Geopedia (in Slovene)
- Hrušica 2 Mass Grave on Geopedia (in Slovene)
- Media related to Hrušica, Jesenice at Wikimedia Commons
- history, at Volunteer Firefighters of Hrušica
- Hrušica (Jesenice) at Geopedia
|This article about the Municipality of Jesenice in Slovenia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|