HuHot Mongolian Grill
HuHot Mongolian Grill is an American restaurant chain specializing in a create-your-own stir fry cuisine (Mongolian Barbecue) with headquarters in Missoula, Montana. As of March 2017, there are over 70 HuHot Mongolian Grills in 18 states, with the vast majority located in the Midwest and Mountain West states.
HuHot was named as one of Nation's Restaurant News 2014 Next 20.
HuHot has ranked in Entrepreneur Magazine's Franchise 500 in 2014, 2013, 2012 and 2010.
Named by Franchise Business Review as a Top 50 Franchise in 2010 Franchisee Satisfaction Awards.
The first HuHot was built in Missoula, Montana in 1999 by the Vap family. Due to the family's experience as Godfather's Pizza franchisees, they were familiar with franchising and knew a fellow restaurateur based in the Midwest who was interested in the concept. From there, it grew by word-of-mouth.
The first franchised HuHot was built in Omaha, Nebraska in 2002. There are currently 70 locations in 18 states. Forty-six of the locations are franchised and eight locations are corporate-owned (Appleton, Wisconsin; Green Bay, Wisconsin; Kenosha, Wisconsin; Madison, Wisconsin; Wausau, Wisconsin; Bloomington, IN; Lafayette, IN and Spanish Fork, UT.
HuHot's main attraction is the 6 ft grill in the middle of the restaurant. Patrons fill their bowls from a food line of meats, noodles, fresh vegetables and specialty sauces. They then proceed to the grill and watch as their unique concoction gets grilled. The restaurants also offer an array of Asian-inspired appetizers, such as coconut shrimp, egg rolls and crab rangoons.
The create-your-own S'mores is a popular dessert, especially with families. Each order comes with graham crackers, chocolate bars, and marshmallows customers can roast on a mini hibachi at their table.
HuHot's sauces are the key to a unique meal. Listed from mildest to hottest they are:
- Samurai Teriyaki
- Not-So-Sweet & Sour
- Khan's Favorite
- Feed the Hordes Hoisin
- Black Thai Peanut
- Burn-Your-Village Barbeque
- Bekter's Ginger
- Nomad's Green Curry (previously a seasonal sauce, replaced Yellow Belly Curry)
- Mongol Mustard
- Five Village Fire Szechuan
- Kung Pao... Yow!
- Khan's Revenge (previously a seasonal sauce)
A selection of create-your-own sauces, such as sweet chili sauce and garlic broth are also included on the food line.
Each quarter HuHot adds in a rotational Sauce of the Season. Past seasonal sauces have included:
- Pillager's Red Curry
- Asian Coconut
- Mongolian Sunburn
- Kublai's Pineapple Cilantro
- Khan's Revenge (currently a permanent sauce)
- Nomad's Green Curry (currently a permanent sauce)
- Open Sesame!
- Shoyu Black Pepper
- Sweet Seoul
The walls of each HuHot Mongolian Grill location are covered in hand-painted murals inspired by Mongolian folk tales. Laura Blaker, a Missoula, Montana-based artist travels to each new HuHot to paint its unique murals.
- Hohhot, Inner Mongolian Autonomous Region, China
- "Locations | HuHot Mongolian Grill". HuHot Mongolian Grill. Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- "2014 Next 20: Sales and Unit Trends | Nation's Restaurant News". Nrn.com. Retrieved 2016-01-08.
- "HuHot Mongolian Grills Franchise Information". Entrepreneur.com. 2015-09-30. Retrieved 2016-01-08.
- "HuHot Mongolian Grill - Create your own stir fry!". Huhot.com. Retrieved 2016-01-08.
- Holien, Mick (6 October 2002). "They know the grill". Missoulian. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- Struckman, Robert (3 April 2005). "HuHot to trot— Missoula franchiser looks to aggressively expand restaurant chain". Missoulian. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "HuHot to trot— Missoula franchiser looks to aggressively expand restaurant chain | Business". Missoulian.com. 2005-04-03. Retrieved 2016-01-08.
- "Mongolian Grill BBQ Restaurant Franchise". huhot.com. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "Create A meal". huhot.com. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "Work of Missoula artist adorns HuHot franchises around the country". Missoulian. Retrieved 23 May 2013.