He won three medals at the 1977 World Table Tennis Championships; a bronze medal in the men's singles a silver medal in the men's doubles with Lu Yuansheng and a gold medal in the Swaythling Cup (men's team event) for China.  
Two years later he won a silver at the 1979 World Table Tennis Championships in the Swaythling Cup (men's team) and in 1981 won a bronze medal at the 1981 World Table Tennis Championships with Pu Qijuan in the mixed doubles.
He worked in Italy in the 1990s, and was diagnosed of esophagus cancer in 1997. When his health deteriorated, his family brought him back to Henan Cancer Hospital in Zhengzhou for treatment in December 1999.
- "Profile". Table Tennis Guide.
- "Table Tennis World Championship medal winners". Sports123.
- "Men's singles results" (PDF). International Table Tennis Federation.
- "Men's doubles results" (PDF). International Table Tennis Federation.
- "List of Winners". All About Table Tennis.
- Montague, Trevor (2004). A-Z of Sport, pages 699-700. The Bath Press. ISBN 0-316-72645-1.
- Matthews/Morrison, Peter/Ian (1987). The Guinness Encyclopaedia of Sports Records and Results, pages 309-312. Guinness Superlatives. ISBN 0-85112-492-5.
- "Mixed doubles results" (PDF). International Table Tennis Federation.
- "前乒乓国手黄亮回国治疗癌症". Sina. 1999-12-22. Retrieved 2018-07-06.
|This biographical article relating to table tennis is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|